PDA

View Full Version : Many dots on maps too small

Scott Jensen
04-20-2002, 11:57 AM
The smallest dots on the maps telling how many volunteers are in each US state or country are too small. It takes a lot of wiggling the cursor over these smallest dots to try to get the info they will yield and some I've had no luck with. And this is with a 21' monitor and fine-touch trackball mouse. I would suggest two solutions:

1) Make all the dots larger so the smallest dots are easily targets. Or, better yet...

2) Keep the dots the way they are but don't make them the triggers. Make the state/country the trigger. Move your cursor over their geographic area and that triggers the info prompt.

Also, if you'd like to get a read on how many are from where as well as give more info on your maps, isn't there some tracking/address number in emails that could give you that information and a little quick program that could tell where they're from? I could see this being helpful with getting local publicity.

eXXile
04-20-2002, 02:56 PM
I can't always click on the Hawaii dot, so I just go to the plain text version. Makes it very easy :D

Brian the Fist
04-20-2002, 03:57 PM
The plain text version of this page makes everything crystal clear, the mouse-over is just a 'novelty'. We do not use reverse-IP mapping or anything like that to determine where people are. Some people would view this as an invasion of privacy. Only those people who choose to reveal their location are indicated. There will be some error as some people are bound to fib about their location, perhaps just for fun so this is just approximate. But as you can see, about 50% of users do not want to reveal what country they are in (or are just too lazy to choose it :sleepy: ). Looking at the numbers though I'd say they're fairly accurate and beliveable so if you multiply everything by two (to account for the people who dont list their location) it should be roughly correct.