PDA

View Full Version : Casp Gauntlet

PCZ
06-25-2004, 09:07 PM
Does any one fancy the idea of a gauntlet on DF whilst we crunch the casp6 proteins.

?

Bok
06-25-2004, 09:35 PM
makes sense....

I'm in :)

Bok

IronBits
06-25-2004, 09:53 PM
Based on past performances, it will require more babysitting than usual with protein changes every week.
Not a bad thing necessarily, but something one needs to be especially aware of during the CASP6 run. ;)

We are on LM now... I thought for us to take a position...

I'm for whatever the majority decides to do :p :D

Wake me when it's time to switch to the next project :sleepy: :rotfl:

Welnic
06-26-2004, 12:21 AM
Being a die-hard df person, it seems to me to be asking for trouble to have a bunch of people start running df that are new to it, especially under the competitive strain of a gauntlet, when proteins are changing every week. Since basically all of my hardware is on df, I am ready for a gauntlet at any time. I just think that it might bum a lot of people out, and they wouldn't want to have anything to do with df any more.

On the other hand, the DPC seem to have more trouble switching than we do. And it would be a good time for Howard to have all the horsepower he could get.

:confused:

Anteraan
06-26-2004, 10:02 AM
I've taken my little grove off FaD, and put it back on DF, so I'm in and already set up. As for the "competitive strain" of a gauntlet, I guess it's what you make of it. I can't imagine a gauntlet stressing me out, but then again, maybe that's just my easy-going personality talking.

It's also no secret that we could use all the hp available to hold back the tide of the mooers, and it would be a great asset for the project as well, as Welnic said.

Edit: There now appears to be talk of protein changeovers possibly happening at the end of weeks. That has potential for, let's say, "issues". :spank:

Moogie
06-26-2004, 10:23 AM
I'm in so long as the "end of the week" is at the very least Friday. I'm hoping they'll hold the changeover until sometime the following week though.

Easygoing personality? (cough) :D

Paratima
06-26-2004, 10:54 AM
I'll climb back in the DF saddle for CASP6, with a couple of provisos. (1) I'm losing access to my work pharm, so it'll just be my rather limited personal boxen. (2) I'm not happy with that "end of the week" talk. The first weekend we go thru with the servers stuffed up or a bad code release, I'm back on my favorites, CP and FAD.
With a little help from magnav0x, I'll keep the mirror|rorrim up & running, in any event. :walking:

Bok
06-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Well, after some more thought on this, I think we should stick to the original schedule. If we keep changing the schedule then people will just stop participating and go back to their own main projects I think.

Bok

IronBits
06-26-2004, 01:40 PM
This is becoming a problem ... talking about and switching gauntlets, too fast.

We do have a project that will start CASP6 soon...

We already have a 'schedule' of guantlets to attend, for those that participate in such things.

This appears to be rubbing some folks the wrong way...

While we are currently in the LM gauntlet, due to finish this Tuesday, or until we take the next posistion.

Do we want the gauntlets to be cast in stone, or do we want flexibility?

How do we propose to interupt a current gauntlet to make room for specialty gauntlets like for the DF CASP6 effort?

How do we propose to interupt a gauntlet?

I'm all ears folks, there is nothing cast in stone.

We can get thru this, even if it means abandoning our current scheduled gauntlets.

This is the time to speak up and be heard, and I expect everyone to LISTEN/READ and please think about others, and the effects of what you are proposing will be on the general Teammates. Some can jump quickly from project to project (home pharmers mostly) while others have to make a concerted effort to switch to other projects (work pharmers) and some can't run various projects for various reasons, like bad clients in one OS or another...

Please state your case here so we can get this fully organized and working well for us.

Thanks,
DJ

Helix_Von_Smelix
06-26-2004, 03:38 PM
gauntlets should be added to a list, minimum of 10 people to run,,, then set in stone in the list. If there are less than 8 people in total running the gauntlet when it is at the top of the gauntlet list, then on the next tuesday the next on the list can be run. If a gauntlet server goes down, keep running offline for as long as poss, then temp switch to another DC until it comes back up.

A goal should be agreed before it reaches the top of the gauntlet list, and it should be stuck to.

IB or BOK should run the list.

i thank you....

PCZ
06-26-2004, 03:56 PM
Only a small percentage of Free-DC members participate in the gauntlets.
Look at our poor performance in LM.

IronBits
06-26-2004, 04:33 PM
I don't think so, but I would agree with you on we appear to have lost our 'focus' ...

Hopefully Master Dyyryath can step in here and help all us lost and confused soles :notworthy

Everyone just keep doing their best in the meantime...

Being disorganized doesn't hurt us overall,
however,
we are definately more effective when we are organized. :thumbs: :D
and we all seem to have alot of fun doing that... :smoking:

:cheers: to all our brothers and sisters here on Free-DC :cheers:

ronbo54
06-26-2004, 11:29 PM
I do worry about having so many gauntlets as it might just burn people out on the concept or tick them off if things are changed :(

It should also be more than one person asking for gauntlet - I asked for a UD gauntlet and there was no interest for now. Someone else asked for Seti without any response.

But if you are going to have them I personally think they should be saved for bringing more firepower to take the next place or hold a place as in DF. Run for two weeks and evaluate progress or potential targets in other projects.
Worked for the D2OL gauntlet.:D

Should never be set in stone though as everyone should be free to come or go as they please. Easy to say stay with it until we pass someone, but if the numbers don't add up it needs to be changed after two weeks.

LM is almost 2 weeks old and looks like at least another month until RK at this rate so stop on Tuesday and come back to it when we are closer
D2OL would be about the same time until we are close enough to start a run at 4th which is probably as high as we can go and hold there - unless we get more people on it

CASP6 doesn't look like it starts until July 5 so maybe switch to a short (1 week) TSC gauntlet to grab a couple of places (if we don't get a place before that and if people agree that CASP6 is a priority for now over other gauntlet projects)

Above all have fun and remember we are all on the same team :cheers:

Bok
06-27-2004, 12:03 AM
/me is with ronbo54....

and in regards to running with TSC from wednesday. You wouldn't be hording some offline caches by any chance would you........................................................

:umm: :blues:

Those pesky colonials..........

Bok :jester:

Evilmoose
06-27-2004, 01:26 AM
I agree LM should end tuesday. If you guys want to do CASP6 thats fine but dont try and squeeze a mini gauntlet in a week span. Stick with LM or switch to TSC till a predetermined time or rank. Ranks will be easy to take in TSC.
If we want to end LM on tuesday and run CASP6 thats fine but, let us go back to our pet projects for a week.
I need to get back on FaD, Iwent from 1st to 3rd while I tried(in vain) to hold 1st in D2OL.

So many projects, so little time.:bang:

Fozzie
06-27-2004, 04:05 AM
so as Welnic says I'm ready if we do run a gauntlet. The quick changeovers are going to hurt my output especially if there are no grace periods. This will probably see me scale back as it would be too frustrating seeing gens go to waste cos I physically could not upload.

I have some boxen on TSC as it is my favourite project so will participate in a small way in any gauntlet going that way too.

We are all experienced with all the different clients so each to their own whether they are in or out.

I do beleive we should stick to the agreed list if at all possible as no-one likes changes at the last minute, especially if they have been sneakily storing wus :D

ronbo54
06-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Bok - Where would I get an idea to do that? Oh Yeah - YOU!:rotfl:

Not as much as I'd like to as remodeling around here has me way behind so no time to change much on my lunch "hours"

Really don't care when it starts as these Wu's don't expire so I'll just have more:D

Paratima
06-27-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Evilmoose
I need to get back on FaD, Iwent from 1st to 3rd while I tried(in vain) to hold 1st in D2OL. No worries, M8! :p No need to rush at all.