PDA

View Full Version : Reusing Active Start Points

PY 222
06-29-2004, 02:29 PM
My apologies if this had been asked before.

Is there any possible way to reuse the Active Start Points after we have sent in the first set of DPs?

I was using a box to crunch the client for a while and I kinda "lost" it. So, how can I get another box, download the client then get the old Active Start Point and start crunching from there.

Is this even possible?

Also, is it possible to just move the entire folder from one machine (P4 HT) to an Athlon XP/MP and resume crunching?

jlcooke
06-29-2004, 03:30 PM
Yes - but there are conditions:

1) the md5crk.com will only accept a DP submission ONCE. So if you copy the files from boxA to boxB, make sure that boxA's copy is deleted.

2) Some cores are not compatible across different CPU/OS. The a P4 can perform SSE2 instructions while the Athlon 32bit can not. So in this case - the Athlon box you have will give you an error and you'll need to start with new start-points (this does not effect your overall thoughput rate).

To submit a partially completed work-unit do this in the command line:

md5crk -prepareBatch

Open the md5_send_batch.html file and click "submit".

PY 222
06-29-2004, 08:29 PM
Thank you for answering my question but you missed out the first part.

Am I able to use my old Active Start Points and get em crunching again. The old folder for those Start points are gone but can I just copy and paste something to get my old Start Point back?

I hate to have too many Start Points that aren't doing anything. So please let me know.

dawithers
06-30-2004, 12:28 AM
yeah i have a grip of start points too (about 250, of which i only use about 36 at most). it seems you could copy and paste the start points from your stats page into the corresponding xml file, but that sounds like something that would be frowned upon. but the matter of using the same start points after having started on them once already seems irrelevent because of the methods that we are using.

jlcooke
06-30-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by dawithers
yeah i have a grip of start points too (about 250, of which i only use about 36 at most). it seems you could copy and paste the start points from your stats page into the corresponding xml file, but that sounds like something that would be frowned upon. ...

Yes don't do this. There is more involved then re-using start-points. /me will now remove that from your stats page.

Originally posted by dawithers
... but the matter of using the same start points after having started on them once already seems irrelevent because of the methods that we are using.

Correct. If you did everything cleanly, your DPs will be accepted by the server.