PDA

View Full Version : Magic Button Not working

damaddog
06-29-2004, 05:51 PM
Has anyone been able to get their MagicButton to work lately? I have been trying for over a month to get it to work. Any ideas? Have heard others with the same problem.

jlcooke
06-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Just tired it now in mozilla - still works.
Just tired it now in IE - still works.

dawithers
06-29-2004, 06:23 PM
as long as I haven't set the "Disable" cookie, it runs just fine

damaddog
06-30-2004, 08:38 PM
I finally got it working. It was the settings on my IE. I had the privacy and Cookies settings to Medium. You have to set them to Low. I guess when I reloaded my system it went to defaults. Not sure I like setting it to Low. Anyone way to make it work with Medium settings?

jlcooke
06-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by damaddog
Anyone way to make it work with Medium settings?

Humm. Medium should work under the following conditions:
1) You've enabled the applet (currently default until I get around to fix this). Can you verify this at: http://www.md5crk.com/?sec=addApplet

2) Your browser accepts cookies from www.md5crk.com

3) Your browser has Java anabled.

My "medium" setting (I hate MS) tells me this:
http://jlcooke.ca/md5col/p3p.png

The circled part is what's important. If 3rd party cookies with privacy policies are not allowed, the applet will stop shortly after starting.

dawithers
07-01-2004, 07:27 PM
Although the magic button appears to work perfectly when i visit my site from any other computer (say....the library computer i am on right now...) i don't see any DPs registering on my stats page. I don't tend to run it for an extended period of time, but even when I do, I don't see any progress. in fact, because my site (withers.sytes.net) hasn't received any activity recently, it isnt showing up on my list, so i would expect it to magicallly re-appear when i get a DP from that site. Anyway i'll be at the library using my magic button for about an hour at a rate of about 0.5 megaMD5/sec on two computers, so I hope to see some sort of progress.

i guess i cant expect it to find any dp's unless i let it run long enough to generate at least the average 2^32 md5's. and not only that but depending on the start points given, it could take longer or shorter......

bah...:bang:

dawithers
07-01-2004, 07:56 PM
It seems to me that the magic button isn't as effective as it could be due to the fact that start points are assigned by browser and so when someone is viewing your site for 5 minutes, they only get 5 minutes of work done during that time and then they leave. then the next person comes along and gets assigned different start points because they are on a different computer and they start from the start points and they only get 5 minutes of work done on those start points. so you wind up having a bunch of start points with only 5 minutes of work done on each and since the average DP is a good 2^32 md5s away, they aren't likely to find a DP during those five minutes unless they are running a VERY fast computer.....or they get lucky. so the magic button is more effective on sites where viewers stay for a long time, than a site where more people visit but for shorter amounts of time.....even if the total amount of work done is the same.

Mystwalker
07-02-2004, 04:58 AM
The current status gets saved to a cookie when you leave a site with the MagicButton (maybe it gets saved every few seconds, I'm not sure of this). When the same browser (with the cookie still set) visits another (or the same) page with the MagicButton, it can continue from this point.
So, to generate DPs, a PCs browser has to be long enough on a (multitude of) MagicButton sites to reach it...

jlcooke
07-02-2004, 08:52 AM
http://withers.sytes.net has 16 DPs
http://withers.sytes.net/ has 0 DPs

Looks like it's working.... though the last DP came in on Tue Apr 13 17:25:33 2004

dawithers
07-02-2004, 11:33 AM
:cheers:
I found a DP on my withers.sytes.net FINALLY! Thanks

damaddog
07-06-2004, 10:52 AM
I have tried to add my web site so I can get credit from the MagicButton but keep getting a 'URL head error'. Any ideas?

dawithers
07-06-2004, 10:58 AM
Where are you getting this error? Is it when you try to do the site verification on md5crk.com?

jlcooke
07-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by dawithers
Where are you getting this error? Is it when you try to do the site verification on md5crk.com?

I can't login to md5crk.com right now to check my code for checking this as I'm mid-move to my new appartment and public-key is stored on a computer there. I'll check it out later. Keep the applet there, I'll increment your credits appropriatly when you do register the site.

damaddog
07-06-2004, 01:06 PM
When you login to MD5CRK.COM it shows all your starting points. Below that where you can add a web site. I have one added already and have changed the name. If I goto the site that the name is on then I get credit but if I try to add a different site the system comes right back tells me I have a URL error.

jlcooke
07-06-2004, 10:17 PM
And you re-upload the md5crk_verify.txt file?

The URL... what is it?

The md5crk_verify.txt file contains a base64encode( sha1( $KEY . $url . $userid ) ) value. So it is different for every URL-user combo. And this value cannot be determined by any attacker without knowing the $KEY value. This info might help you.