PDA

View Full Version : SuSE 8.0 Available Today!!

Chinasaur
04-22-2002, 01:52 PM
My favorite distribution :thumbs:

:D With KDE 3.0

:D Improved install

:D Improved YaST...hard to see how that's possible but ok

SuSE is one polished distro..if you haven't tried it yet..you owe it to yourself to check it out.

FoBoT
04-22-2002, 02:43 PM
where you going to buy it from?

MTP
04-22-2002, 04:19 PM
Sounds great, but I was never big on "buying" open source software. I understand the money generally goes to the guys making the software, but at some of the prices that distros like redhat and suse charge it seems a little extreme.

I guess thats why I stick to Mandrake.

Paratima
04-22-2002, 11:53 PM
I agree w/Chinasaur...it's a Very Smooth Distro! (VSD? :p) Only trouble is, I've got SuSE 7.3 and can't think of much that I need improved over that.

Hey China, if you've got it or are getting it, let me know if there's something in there that I really shouldn't be living without.

PS. Love the jet fighter smilie!

Chinasaur
04-23-2002, 09:11 PM
MTP, I hear you..but if people don't buy the product ... how do you expect it to survive? You get your free product because others are pulling your weight by buying it and supporting the product.

And extreme prices? NOT! Even at $70 compare that to the retai of Windows 2000 or XP...decidely inferior operating systems. So no, the prices is reasonable compared to other world class OS's.

Paratime, I'll let ya know. But like you, I'm so happy with 7.3 I'm afraid to update an install just to see :)

Slashdot had the obligatory announcement and some posted having probs with the update. I'll get 8.0 and maybe give away but not install till 8.1 :D

Paratima
04-23-2002, 09:17 PM
I'll get 8.0 and maybe give away but not install till 8.1 I hear ya! ;)

MTP
04-23-2002, 10:51 PM
Now, now I said I understood the purpose of buying it. I bought my first copy of Mandrake 7.0 and 7.2 when they came out. But I have since downloaded 8.0 and 8.2 and even downloaded GENTOO to try (a little to rough for a greener like me).

I havent run Linux though for some time. I really like Mandrake 8 and iut ran flawlessly on my KT7A w/ 1.4G T-Bird system that I used to have. Didn't like 8.1 or 8.2 when they came out, and then shortly afterwards sold my KT7A and T-bird :cry:

I tired gentoo but like I said it was a little too rough for linux greener like me.

I have been thinking of building a few older systems though and put 8 back on it. I have even thought of trying BSD.
I just like playing aorund with other than MS software.

Elspuddy
04-24-2002, 07:39 AM
where did you download it from ??, i can;t see it on there ftp site :(

Chinasaur
04-24-2002, 11:13 AM
SuSE only makes older versions available for download...8.0 won't be available for download until the next version comes out.

But if you can find 7.3 ... GET IT! It's VERY stable and worth the DL time and disks.

Elspuddy
04-24-2002, 11:17 AM
i also can see the iso images in there site as well
:(

Paratima
05-09-2002, 11:09 PM
Several interesting reviews on installing 8.0 posted here (http://www.distrowatch.com/suse.php)

Chinasaur
05-15-2002, 07:23 AM
It''s also got the smoothest hardware upgrade/detection I've seen outside of Be.

I added a Tyan S2460 to one of my SuSE boxes last weekend. SuSE booted (after a 10 second delay) running on one processor. I went into YaST2, had it re-detect hardware, it offered to build the new kernel and told me to reboot when done. Rebooted..two procs detected. Painless.

This is still a 7.3 box. Will get 8.0 and see how that goes as I'm replacing RH7.2 on my main box.

Anyone get SuSE 8.0 and have any comments on whether it's better than 7.3?

Mitsu
06-02-2002, 04:33 PM
Can someone tell this Linux User Wantabe how I can give myself permission to access all the file and change things. I keep getting Permission denied when I try to add a new directory in /usr/local/

Thanks

Ed

ECL
06-02-2002, 06:28 PM
Mitsu, you'll need to log in as 'root' to change anything in /usr/local, or anywhere else outside your user account's home directory. You should make sure that what you want to do should really be done in /usr/local and not in your /home directory.

The usual boilerplate warning: doing anything to your system while logged in as 'root' may cause system instability, loss of data, damage to the ozone layer and irreparable harm to the structure of the universe.

Chinasaur
06-04-2002, 08:29 PM
I screwed the boot loader on a SuSE 7.3 box so I took the opportunity to install SuSE 8.0 over 7.3

It went flawlessly and is running fine :)

I chose the "update existing packages" and "delete unmaintained packages" options and it worked great.

One reboot to change CD's and it asks if you want to keep your old KDE (if you use it) 2.2 settings or use new ones. After that..it's the same.

May all your upgrades be as painless.

:cheers: :cheers:

Mitsu
06-05-2002, 06:51 AM
Thanks alot "ECL" :cheers:

Chinasaur
06-27-2002, 10:05 PM
I've had SuSE 8.0 on two machines for three weeks now...I'm blowing away an RH7.2 install tonight and installing SuSE 7.3

Any questions?

I just don't like it as well as 7.3. 7.3 is seamless and 8.0 has a few ragged edges...such as...

1. Having to specify full path names to run a command in a dir if you are in that dir...7.3 didn't have to do that.

2. KDE 3.0 is a bit slower all for eye candy.

3. Somehow..the "feel" is wrong from 7.3

I guess it's what you get used to...

Paratima
06-27-2002, 10:37 PM
Hmmmm. Interesting, to say the least.

I've just installed 8.0 on one of my machines, but haven't had the time to play with it much. (Too much :swear: work!)

I'll try to put in some time with it over the next week or two and report back. Thanks for the input.

IronBits
06-27-2002, 10:50 PM
1. Having to specify full path names to run a command in a dir if you are in that dir

Try ./command_you_want_to_run ;)

Chinasaur
06-28-2002, 06:03 PM
IronBits,

Yep..that worked..did not know that.

However, 7.3 did NOT require you to do that..so another reason to use 7.3 vs 8.0

I also decided to keep the RH 7.2 install and use Ximian to upgrade Gnome and RH and see whether I can breathe life into this hulk of an OS.

If I do get rid of this dist, it _will_ be replaced with 7.3.

Sincere Happy Weekend Wishes to all the FreeDC peeps...have a safe one and stay away from teh power tools!!!

:cheers:

IronBits
06-28-2002, 08:47 PM
You to! That 'problem' you refer to is a 'safety feature' ...
Just edit your "PATH" so it includes your current directory first ;)

Scoofy12
06-29-2002, 12:22 PM
For those that aren't sure how to do this, you can add the following line to your .bash_profile:
PATH=".:${PATH}"

This will attempt to execute any program in your current directory BEFORE trying anywhere else. You can also add the . to the path in your /etc/profile file, but this is sometimes considered a security risk. If you do this, you'll at least want to add it to the END of the path rather than the beginning.

Oh, and FWIW I've never used a distro I've loved more than Debian. (Although I guess I haven't used SuSE). Two words (or is it one?) apt-get.

Chinasaur
06-30-2002, 12:59 PM
I finally wiped RH and even installed SuSE 8.0

We'll see how it goes.

Have a Happy Canada Day you Canadians.

Scoofy - yeah...I had Debian installed once but never got X working via the text config tool..but I did an apt-get and saw how nice it is. Too bad nobody else uses it...sure would reduce the headaches involved....

:cheers: