PDA

View Full Version : Security Hole In Mozilla

Moogie
07-09-2004, 05:47 PM
<b>From HardOCP</b><br> <br>For all of you people, myself included, who finally got so sick of the IE flaws and security holes that you decided to try Mozilla products, you’ll especially enjoy this news item. There is a new security hole found in Mozilla’s browser that could allow an attacker to run programs on your WinXP box.<br><br>Developers at the open-source Mozilla Foundation have confirmed that the latest version of their Web browsers have a security flaw that could allows attackers to run existing programs on the Windows XP operating system. Updated versions of the affected software programs, which include the Mozilla, Firefox and Thunderbird browsers, have been released.<br><br>I have researched this issue and I have finally come up with a fix for ALL exploits across ALL platforms that takes less than 30 seconds to apply. For those of you running any version of Windows, regardless of browser, do this: locate your DSL, cable modem or phone line….trace the wire that runs to the wall, grab firmly with both hands and yank. You are now completely safe from any form of internet attack. Oddly enough, this works for e-mail virus and spam too.<br><br>Look <a href="http://news.com.com/Security+hole+found+in+Mozilla+browser/2100-1002_3-5262676.html?tag=nefd.top"><u><b>HERE.</u></b></a><br><br>Thanks to IronBits for this submittal.<br><br>

Paratima
07-09-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Moogie ...locate your DSL, cable modem or phone line….trace the wire that runs to the wall, grab firmly with both hands and yank. Love your solution! ;)
Doubly glad I don't run XP! :D :D
Was about to upgrade my Firefoxen anyway, but thanx for the headsup. :p

QIbHom
07-10-2004, 10:24 AM
I've been amused by the "See? See? Mozilla has holes, too!" tone of some of the reporting about this. Yes, it was a juvenile mistake, and the screen thingie should never have been put in there, but the patch is out.

Of course, Moz on non-Windows platforms isn't affected. Which leads me to believe this is more a result of MS's lack of attention to the security aspects of OS design combined with a coder who probably isn't a big Windows user than an inherent flaw in Moz.

If we still used Lynx all the time, none of this would be an issue <g>.

IronBits
07-10-2004, 10:40 AM
Indeed this is an M$ problem that they had to 'patch' it for M$ :D

Moogie
07-10-2004, 11:00 AM
And this comes as a suprise to you because?

:D :D :D :D :D :D