PDA

View Full Version : what did i fry?

FoBoT
04-23-2002, 10:53 AM
:(

i was changing some parts around and something BAD happened

i have an asus mobo that was running a 1ghz duron and i decided to move some parts around

i put a 1.2Ghz Athlon into it, changed the powerman 250W pwr supply to an antec 300w and plugged the case fan to the motherboard (3 pin connector)

it booted up just fine, went into the bios to change the cpu settings, no problem
then i went to the pc health monitor section of the bios

temp was stable, about 37C, not to bad

then i noticed the 5V line turn red, it said 5.5V, then before i could react, it jumped to about 6V!!! :shocked:

next thing i know, the whole thing shutsdown :scared:

now i gotta figure out what all got fried and why

do you think it was a bad pwr supply that overjuiced the whole thing?? :help:

or a component caused the voltage spike?

i changed the pwr supply back last night and the thing won't turn on/boot at all, so i guess the motherboard is toast? :cry:

now, i brought the 100Gb hd into work and it won't boot on another box, the bios is recognizing it, but it says "A disk read error occured" Press ctrl+alt+Del to restart"

:bang:

i fried my junk didn't i? :cry:

you think Western digital will replace the hd? its a retail only 4 months old

i gotta check the cpu out tonight in another mobo

this sucks :swear:

there wasn't any data too important on the drive, but that was a nice little mobo, maybe i need to stop fooling with my junk :haddock:

FoBoT
04-23-2002, 12:05 PM
**edit**
my hd may be ok, i put it into a w2k server, as an additional drive, w2k server is what was on the drive in the fried pc, i was able to copy the data off the drive onto the other server, so now i can blow away the old stuff and see if it will boot in a pc by itself

if my cpu is ok, then maybe in only fried the mobo, but i am also suspect of that antec pwr supply, how do you test a pwr supply?? :help:

MTP
04-23-2002, 03:47 PM
The only way you can test the p/s is to jumper it so it will turn on and then take a meter to see what the outputs are.
However it really wont prove anything until there is load on the power supply to make it produce a current load.

You could always add a few 12v fans to it to help.

FoBoT
04-23-2002, 03:55 PM
hmm, yeah but it was the 5v that shot up, i'll have to either get a really old cheap, i don't care if it fries mobo to test it or put some 5v load onto it, hmmm

Paratima
04-23-2002, 06:40 PM
If you wanna be absolutely sure about the HDD, take a ride over to http://support.wdc.com/download/ and pick up the diagnostics kit. (Can't imagine ANYONE not wanting to be sure about a HDD!) This is the same kit they'll have you download & run if you ask about returning the drive under warranty. If it says the drive's OK, it's pretty sure OK. ;)