PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Gains on IE

Moogie
07-12-2004, 06:20 PM
<table width="90%" border="1" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" bordercolor="#63635A" bgcolor="#E7E7E2" align="center"><tr><td style="font-size: 12px; font-style: italic;">"A series of highly publicized security vulnerabilities found in Microsoft's Internet Explorer Web browser may be having an effect on the browser's market share, according to data compiled by WebSideStory, a San Diego Web metrics company. Over the last month, Internet Explorer's share of the browser market dropped by 1 percent, the first noticeable decline since WebSideStory began tracking the browser market in late 1999."<br></td></tr></table><br><br>The article can be found <a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1093&e=2&u=/pcworld/116848"><u>HERE.</u></a><br><br><b>Article submitted by IronBits</b>

QIbHom
07-13-2004, 02:37 PM
There is a site I frequent that is running a browser pole. Over 60% use Moz or Firefox, under 30% are using IE.

Granted, this is a site where users tend to be younger and more technologically savvy, but these are the same people who end up putting together and tweaking computers for their family, neighbours, teachers, dogs and mice.

alpha
07-15-2004, 02:18 PM
Internet Explorer is dead. And if it isn't dead, it should be. As soon as people wake up and realise that Firefox is the only way, the world will be a better place.

It is blatantly obvious that most people still using IE use it simply because it is installed with their OS, and everybody has heard of it. If everybody were equally clued up, we would all be running Firefox because (even if only talking in terms of security), it is the winner.

I think an effective example to show people would be to compare the results of an Ad-aware scan on a machine running IE to a machine running Firefox. If I weren't paranoid, I would ditch Ad-aware because since using Firefox, I don't need it anymore!

Paratima
07-15-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by QIbHom
Granted, this is a site where users tend to be younger and more technologically savvy, but these are the same people who end up putting together and tweaking computers for their family, neighbours, teachers, dogs and mice. :mouserun: :mouserun: :mouserun: Really?

(Firefox rox! :thumbs: )

Moogie
07-15-2004, 06:33 PM
Did I just read the word younger? :D

I still need to try Firefox...I just need to find the link that rshephard put up.

Bok
07-15-2004, 06:55 PM
here you go

Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/)

You'll never go back to IE :)

Bok

magnav0x
07-15-2004, 07:21 PM
The only reason I ever use Firefox is because I can change the browser ID. Other than that I'm not concerned with the security issues involved with IE. My Windows box is only used to play games and that is no reason for me to go out of my way to install Firefox. No offense but I'll never use anything consistantly that is even remotly related to Mozilla, because it reminds me of Netscape. I'd rather use Opera, it's still blows Firefox away as far as speed goes. If you want to be secure, fire up Lynx.

Moogie
07-16-2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Bok
here you go

Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/)

You'll never go back to IE :)

Bok

You sound like you are speaking from eperience. :D I feel like I am being led over to the dark side.

:cool:

Paratima
07-16-2004, 08:11 AM
You should at least try it, Moogie. :)

There are some things it still lacks. My biggest gripe is trying to get the blasted thing to properly sort the bookmarks. (I have a LOT of bookmarks!) OTOH, when that's your biggest gripe, things ain't all bad.

It's a Work In Progress. Bearing :fozzie: that in mind, it has a quite a few advantages over IE. Setting up the options, for instance, is tons more straightforward. I think you'd like it.

alpha
07-16-2004, 10:13 AM
What is the problem with bookmark sorting?

Paratima
07-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Getting it to work? Everything is sorted fine when I'm in Manage Bookmarks. When I exit, there are my bookmark folders, as unsorted as ever. There may be a solution, but it's not intuitively obvious to the casual observer, as they say in the trade.

IronBits
07-16-2004, 05:19 PM
Drag them around, put em where you please :p :)

Paratima
07-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Erm, well, OK. So that does actually work. I wuz kinda hoping for something AUTOMATIC! Ya know, like "Here ya go, Mr. Smart Machine. You're so good with numbers & stuff. Howzabout YOU sort these instead of me sorting by hand?" Is this tough or what? :rolleyes:

IronBits
07-17-2004, 04:51 AM
http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=51&vid=54&category=Bookmarks
:D :bonk:

Paratima
07-17-2004, 08:23 AM
IB, you da MAN! :D (How'd you find out about that patch?)

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :notworthy

IronBits
07-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Oddly enough, it all started here
http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox
:D

I personally like this must have extension :thumbs:
http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&id=10&vid=215

Paratima
07-17-2004, 02:26 PM
Wow! You ain't wrong! Weather Channel loads in about 1/2 the time without those *really dumb* ads that change every time. Just read the "blockable ads" dropdown, replace with an * here & there, and enjoy the quiet. Nice!

Took me hours to block those suckers before and in a coupla weeks, all the URLs have changed.
This is a nice solution. :cheers:

Hey y'all, Mozilla Firefox is even better!

IronBits
07-17-2004, 10:37 PM
It also gives you a choice to block all ads from a specific site, by right clicking on the picture or link. :thumbs:

StarDog
07-19-2004, 11:31 AM
OMG!

IB Thanks for pointing out that plug-in...This has to be the BEST thing since pop-up blockers. It's dramatically sped up all my browsing!

:cheers:

MerePeer
07-19-2004, 08:33 PM
That blocking sounds like a nice feature.

Last month I tried Firefox .8 Linux and it (a) took about 20 seconds to start the first instance and (b) kept asking me about a new profile when I launched the second instance. So I gave up on it.

Lately I like the Epiphany (1.2.6) browser in Gnome, which is also Mozilla-based.

Bok
07-19-2004, 09:33 PM
MerePeer,

what distro and spec of machine ?

And why would you start a new instance when you have tabbed browsing??? It kinda defeats the purpose ;)

Bok

MerePeer
07-20-2004, 06:47 PM
Well I think it was my Mandrake 10 box, a 2400+. But now that I think about it, I subsequently noticed other things launching slow and when I looked at "top" it was GridWin that had an "NI" column of 0, which I think means that D2OL by default does not lower its priority (tried/confirmed this again today) to background level. I was playing with launching D2OL using "nice ./D2OL controller:file &" and can't recall the outcome. So I likely misplaced the performance issue onto Firefox -- especially if you confirm no delays launching instances under LInux.

However I do like to use my Gnome panels and have multiple browser instances going across panels and that prompting about a profile got too annoying and felt like an invasion of privacy: why should I need a profile to use a browser??

Maybe under windoze (no panels) I could put up with one instance/only tabs.

One thing I really like about Epiphany is that after I reboot it asks me if I want to recover my browser sessions: which reloads all the windows I had when the system went down and saves alot of time.

ColinT
07-23-2004, 05:15 PM
Moogie,

We are not leading you over to the Dark Side. I use Firefox and love it! It's very easy to set up and it's FAST. Plus it's immune to viral attacks like Internet Exploder.

gopher_yarrowzoo
07-25-2004, 06:22 AM
Opera Rox, paid / unpaid, your right Firefox by Mozillia reminds me Too much of Netscape :D, mind you I supposer I really should get a copy of it on here just to make my website a bit more browser compatible :moon: :rotfl: ... darn stupid thing
Me thinks the only thing that don't work outside IE / NS is the greetz list, I may be wrong of course.....