PDA

View Full Version : SDFX VooDoo5 5500 vid card

MTP
04-23-2002, 10:39 PM
If you had the chance to buy one of the legendary 3DFX VooDoo5 5500 video cards for only $90 would you do it?

I have been pondering this thought for over a day now. I would love to have one of those video cards even though it is "old" and I would probably have to build a machine to run 98SE on since I would never find XP drivers for and it doesn't work well in dual cpu systems.

Back in the day......I had a 3DFX Monster video that piggy backed off your normal vid card. Best I have ever seen Unreal graphics.

So whats your opinion on the issue?

MTP
04-25-2002, 10:03 PM
Well it looks like 16 people read this and not one of them added any info.
So I say screw you all :swear:

I just went and ordered the board anyway to be honest I always wanted one and I remember how damn good Unreal look on my 3D Mosnter card compared to the GF2 GTS cardin my sons machine now.

It will be worth it to me. I'll let you know how it goes. I how found a site that has allot of beta 3rd party drivers all the way up to XP.

Alpha_7
04-26-2002, 12:54 AM
Sorry.. I didn't having anything useful to say.. so for a change I chose not to reply and pollute the thread :(

Darkness Productions
04-26-2002, 10:33 AM
Sorry bouyt that. I was one of those 16, started to reply even, then had to do some work and forgot all about the thread.

I own a V5 PCI and bought mine when it first came out. It's one of the best Video Cards I've ever owned. Windows supports the dual chip board quite well. Linux on the other hand, doesn't. It's a great card, and the 3rd party drivers for it are excellent.

I will warn you however, that a V3 AGP will outperform a V5 PCI in the 3dMark tests by a fairly good margin....

Originally posted by MTP
Well it looks like 16 people read this and not one of them added any info.
So I say screw you all :swear:

I just went and ordered the board anyway to be honest I always wanted one and I remember how damn good Unreal look on my 3D Mosnter card compared to the GF2 GTS cardin my sons machine now.

It will be worth it to me. I'll let you know how it goes. I how found a site that has allot of beta 3rd party drivers all the way up to XP.

MTP
04-26-2002, 10:48 AM
Then one I bought is the agp version not pci.
ACtually looked into buying a KT7A (ver 1.3) to slap a XP1900 into along with the VooDoo5 5500 and make it a game/G@H cruncher.

Darkness Productions
04-26-2002, 03:41 PM
If you want an XP proc, go get an Abit KR7A. The only cost about $50 more, but they support DDR... Plus, they OC like a mofo... Try one, you'll like it.

Originally posted by MTP
Then one I bought is the agp version not pci.
ACtually looked into buying a KT7A (ver 1.3) to slap a XP1900 into along with the VooDoo5 5500 and make it a game/G@H cruncher.

MTP
04-26-2002, 04:37 PM
Well the reason for getting the KT7A (ver 1.3) is because it takes the XP but uses SDRAM and I have 2 128M sticks of PC166 ram that I can slap into it. I have some old 8.4G WD hdd to throw into it or I can rip the 75GXP 15G IBM out of my farm machine and throw the 8.4G into it and use the IBM drive in the KT7A
The parts I really need would be the mb and the cpu. I've got enough old stuff laying around to slap it together and nic it into the other farm machine.
Hummm....except a cdrom, I think I gave away the last extra one I had to my neighbor last week. :bang: I'll have to look into that.

I did think of getting that other board but I rather use the extra junk I got laying around to cut the cost.