PDA

View Full Version : Cannot View Disabled Network connections in XP

Chinasaur
07-21-2004, 02:40 PM
Problem: Friend has an XP box in which I cannot view hidden/disabled network connections (1, 2 and 4) NOR can I delete the ones that show..they have locked lock icons. Each new hardware re-connection keeps incrementing and it might be what is keeping the 802.11 USB device from syncing to the network.

Any ideas? The account I work with has Admin rights so I can't understand why I can neither delete curren nor view disabled connects.

I've tried cleaning the Registry to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PCZ
07-21-2004, 02:55 PM
Looks like you have a bad driver.

This (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313242) info should help

Chinasaur
07-21-2004, 05:33 PM
PCZ,

Nope. It connects fine.

The problem is Windows XP. I can't see (literally they don't show up/are not visible in Network Connections) how to delete old network connections numbers One, Two and Four. I have a Netgear MA101 as Wireless connection 5 and a Netgear FAS11 as Network Connetion 3. The other three invisible connections I can't get rid of because I can't see them. The two that show work fine as needed.

Additionally, the two that work and are visible (one is disabled) are locked and I can't delete them.

Anyone know WTF is going on? I'm out of practice with Windows and I never knew XP.

TIA.

IronBits
07-21-2004, 07:48 PM
Right click on computername icon, choose manage, select devices, then View show hidden devices, does it show up then?

FoBoT
07-21-2004, 08:17 PM
use the command line

ipconfig /all to show all the connections. what does it say?

then use netsh to to reset your stack

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

now do ipconfig /all again, do you get the same crap or different crap?

pfb
07-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Chinasaur
PCZ,

Nope. It connects fine.

The problem is Windows XP. I can't see (literally they don't show up/are not visible in Network Connections) how to delete old network connections numbers One, Two and Four. I have a Netgear MA101 as Wireless connection 5 and a Netgear FAS11 as Network Connetion 3. The other three invisible connections I can't get rid of because I can't see them. The two that show work fine as needed.

Additionally, the two that work and are visible (one is disabled) are locked and I can't delete them.

Anyone know WTF is going on? I'm out of practice with Windows and I never knew XP.

TIA.

These are network connections that were installed but not used any more?

If they are then iirc they are under the ControlSetxxx entries in the registry (HKLM/System) - I'll see if I still have the info on removing them as I had to do something similar...

If it's not that then ignore me :)