PDA

View Full Version : when will we hit 1 billion?

FoBoT
04-26-2002, 11:52 PM
can some smart guy finger out about when we will hit 1 billion thingys in DF?

Paratima
04-27-2002, 12:01 AM
Coupla days, I reckon. :smoking: You in a rush?

KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
04-27-2002, 12:20 PM
Fobot, what is your plan when we get to 1 billion? We are going to crunch this one for 10 billion structures, so settle in, we will be here for a couple more months.

Ni! :D

Chinasaur
05-12-2002, 06:45 PM
Today. Data and Terminator from some other team joined us and pushed us over 1B strucs.

We would have hit 1B on 5-22-02 w/out the extra Strucs.

KWSN is a month behind and will top their own 1B mark on 6-22.

Did Data and Terminator join for real or is this just team hopping?

DATA
05-12-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Chinasaur
Today. Data and Terminator from some other team joined us and pushed us over 1B strucs.

I can only speak for DATA - its for real :D - but i would also think Terminator is for real as well :cool:

Richard Clyne
05-12-2002, 07:19 PM

Not sure what is going on and can't find anything to clarify situation :confused:

I do not know the peeps in question, but have read some of their posts in the past and both seem reasonable sort of peeps who I hope would not lower themselves to team hopping just for the fun of it.

I am assumming it is for real :)

EDITED:-
Doh, must learn to type faster :D
And another person from my part of the world:thumbs:

mr_mann
05-12-2002, 07:24 PM
well i guess that answers the question of when we will break that mark ;)

jpb1
05-12-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by DATA

I can only speak for DATA - its for real :D - but i would also think Terminator is for real as well :cool:

:thumbs: Data, I think you and Terminator made a good choice, but I am going to give you a :haddock: for not saying anything about the move. :D Don't think you will get away that easily! ;)

Paratima
05-12-2002, 08:24 PM
This is all so very elementary, my dear Watson.

(1) DATA and Terminator both come from 3DHQ. Lately, DATA has been running under the moniker SMDC, which is why you won't find him in the current stats. However, SMDC and DATA both have a best RMS of 5.4735. Quite a coincidence, eh? :D Also, anyone with 220M structures is difficult to hide!

(2) Chinasaur asked if the move was for real and DATA indicated in the affirmative. What is real? Does real = forever? What China meant to ask was if this is a change of allegiance, a different question altogether. Much more difficult to ask sans loopholes and also much more difficult to answer. ;)

Q.E.D., they're here now. If they switch elsewhere after a bit, well, so what? Aren't we all solving the same problem? It seems unlikely that their being here (or having been here) can hurt us. Who's going to object to 282 Million structures coming to live with us?

Besides, it gives me something to shoot for, after I vanquish ColinT. :p

I say, "Welcome aboard, both, for as long as you care to stay!"

Paratima
05-12-2002, 08:33 PM
Forgot the credits: Clues in the case courtesy of Statsman, but not for much longer... they fade after time, you know. :smoking:

Chinasaur
05-12-2002, 09:22 PM
Welcome to Data and Terminator from a line cruncher.. :)

Chinasaur meant what he asked and DATA answered. :cheers:

I love this team :notworthy

Moogie
05-12-2002, 09:53 PM
I know both DATA and Terminator from my time at 3D. They are both serious about their crunching and I don't feel that either would partake in Team hopping.

DATA/Terminator: For however long you decided to stay, welcome to FreeDC. It's a pleasure to have you on board. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

:)

Paratima
05-12-2002, 10:13 PM
Chinasaur meant what he asked and DATA answered.
You are absolutely correct. Apologies. In the heat of battle, etc., etc.

JTrinkle
05-12-2002, 11:02 PM
Data and Terminator:

Welcome to the Team!! :cool:

-JTrinkle

Terminator
05-13-2002, 03:29 AM

Did Data and Terminator join for real or is this just team hopping? Have no fear - it's for real :thumbs:

prokaryote
05-13-2002, 04:44 AM
People,

Okay, so what's the big deal about team hopping anyway?

1). Is the project any different?
2). Does it affect the science?
3). Does it somehow invalidate the results?
4). Does it invalidate the effort put in towards the project?
5). Can you trade in team crunched structures for food, shelter or medicine?
6). Is it stealing some valueable asset or property?
7). Was some sort of personal contract (implicit or explicit) made with any member of a "team" by "joining"?
8). Is it some question of misplaced personal loyalty?
9). Is it "cheating" the system when the project founders specifically stated that it's allowed?
10). Do people really attach that much emotional significance and self worth to a bunch of abstract numbers associated with an abstract project?
11). Can people actually see past the artificiallity of "stats" or "the game" and look at the big picture?
12). Do people jump to conclusions about personal motivation and character based upon nothing more than moving stats around in some charitable DC project?
13). Is it that satisfying to classify everyone as "us" and "them".
14). Does some silly, good natured competition really mean that much to people?
15). Does being "number one" really make you a better person?

I realize that people have their own opinions and have that as a given, human right; as a whole human being, I REFUSE to be judged by anonymous people. Get to know me first and I'm sure then you'll find some reason to hate or despise me, but until then classify or vilify someone else.

Sincerely,

Eukaryote/prokaryote/Dan

pointwood
05-13-2002, 05:42 AM
Congrats to Free-DC for reaching the big mark!

Although you did take the easy route ;) :p

Chinasaur
05-13-2002, 07:31 AM
Prok,

My opinion on team jumping? (And this is not directed at you so relax...) It's annoying. It annoys people who simply want to know where their team is on a regular basis without wondering if it's gone up or down in the stats because people left or joined on a whim.

Team jumpers affect others than themselves without caring about the people who's team they affect. Most team jumpers think it's fun but don't realize (or care) how it affects others. Focus on the affect is has on other people and you'll be closer to understanding why people dislike team jumping.

I don't think DF (or DC for that matter) is silly and it's a hobby for me...and come people do DC expressly for the competition. Mostly it's fun for us..fun which could be affected by anothers thoughtless actions.

Good post. Have a great day :cheers:

DATA
05-13-2002, 08:38 AM
Hi ppl

regarding TEAM Jumping - this is not my way of doing things and leaving teams TP/3DHQ did not come easy for me

my reasons for leaving TP/3DHQ are personal and have been discssed with at least one of the powers to be on NM - prior to arriving here last night I asked and was welcomed/granted permission by at least one owner (am assuming that this person spoke to the other joint owners) of this establishment - i intend not to go into or be drawn any further in this matter it is over and by me not open for discussion here or else where

regarding DC work

since i commenced doing this type of work almost 17 months ago - 99.9% of the ppl i have been involved with have and will always be treated with the utmost respect and seriousness and not riddiculed as some would do - bearing in mind with what myself/family and close friends have suffered with health wise these past years - DC crunching by way of the S-MDC is my contribution in a small way to help those that know how to utilise the results find cures for potential diseases

my respect to Team Free-DC
Tom

pointwood
05-13-2002, 08:55 AM
Just to make it clear - my comment was in no way meant as a criticism of the jump!

This is all for fun and remember: Ars Team Stir Fry will beat you someday ;) :p

Edit: For clarification :D

DATA
05-13-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by pointwood
Just to make it clear - my comment was in no way meant as a criticism of the jump!

This is all for fun and Ars Team Stir Fry beat you someday ;) :p

:cool: :D

Terminator
05-13-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by DATA
Hi ppl

regarding TEAM Jumping - this is not my way of doing things and leaving teams TP/3DHQ did not come easy for me

..... i intend not to go into or be drawn any further in this matter it is over and by me not open for discussion here or else where
My sentiments exactly, so let's crunch on :)

IronBits
05-13-2002, 10:10 AM
Home is where your heart is. :D
If you like it here and want to call this place home, great! :cheers:

If you don't like it here and leave, then we will be sad and miss you. :(

No matter what team you're on, or which team you came from, even if you were not on a team before, you are all welcome to come here and join in.

The important thing is to just Crunch on folks. :smoking:

prokaryote - there are no judges here. If we find one, we'll de-rob it and turn him over to the wrath of Dyyryath :spank:

Have FUN 1st, crunch hard 2nd, and 3rd do the best you can. :thumbs:

xj10bt
05-13-2002, 10:36 AM
Welcome DATA and Terminator. Sorry about the 3DHQ situation, but I'm glad you (and Moogie!) decided to call the best team home! :p :D

Dyyryath
05-13-2002, 12:39 PM
I just wanted to say that the attitude we're seeing right now is EXACTLY what I expected from you guys! :)

Data spoke to me about the possibility of his coming over to Free-DC before he ever made the move. He was concerned about the possibility of upsetting anyone here and he didn't want to cause us any turmoil.

I told him that he'd be welcomed with open arms and that the members of Free-DC were a pretty laid back bunch that would just be happy to see new people calling Free-DC home.

I never doubted for a second that you guys would be so accomodating. :thumbs:

To say that I'm proud of our little community would be an understatement. :notworthy :notworthy :D

Terminator
05-13-2002, 02:19 PM
Thanks very much for the warm welcome everyone :)

And Dyyryth et el you can be very proud of what you have here built here :notworthy thanks again

mr_mann
05-13-2002, 02:24 PM
what can i say?!?!? ill take all the blame for everyones actions today :D:p