PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Hawking

rosyboa
04-27-2002, 04:10 AM
This is off the subject, but I have to vent!

Stephen Hawking gave a lecture in Portland Oregon last night.
Wow! Just being in the same room and seeing the genius in
his eyes was worth the price of admission. He is amazing!

If you ever get a chance to see him... do it! You won't be sorry.

If I sound like a babbling school girl, I'm sorry!

Alpha_7
04-27-2002, 08:01 PM
Cool :) What was the lecture on ?

I'm sure its off topic nature wont trouble anyone..

we aren't talking about much atm.. in Seti..

:)

rosyboa
04-28-2002, 10:36 AM
'Brane New World' was the title of the lecture.

He talked about the theory of everything. Which Would have to include at least six dimensions beyond the four that we see as length, width, height and time.

He suggested that instead of the Universe being a flat plane, that the Universe is actually curved. The analogy that he gave was that of a balloon with all the galaxies painted on the surface,
as the balloon is inflated(big bang) the galaxies become farther apart. The surface of the balloon is the brane. The extra dimesions are contained within the brane. Black holes are the portals to the inner dimensions and therefore the other side of the universe.

However, contrary to popular belief, black holes emit radiation,
known as Hawking Radiation. They are actually evaporating.
He said that if a black hole was to appear next to our galaxy,
rather than us being sucked in, the black hole would evaporate and he would be awarded the Nobel Prize.

rosyboa
04-28-2002, 10:47 AM
If a space craft where to approach a black hole, the gravity of the hole would probably crush it before it could enter.

Supp
04-28-2002, 11:59 AM
Yes, gravity would reduce it to particles

and according to Theory of Relativity,
it would never reach center of b.h. even if it hadn't been crushed - it would stop on Schwartzschilds (or whoever...) radius and remain there forever.

mr_mann
04-28-2002, 01:16 PM
in other words dont F*ck with black holes they 0wnz j00 :D

NeonBlack
04-28-2002, 08:58 PM
Next on Phyz1cz r0><0r:

all j00r favourite physics theorems and postulates in

1337 5p34|<

:P

dragongoddess
05-05-2002, 04:37 PM
Hawking rules

ColinT
05-05-2002, 04:55 PM
If a space craft where to approach a black hole, the gravity of the hole would probably crush it before it could enter.

The pilots would experience time differently before the craft was ripped apart. They would live out thier whole lives in a nanosecond, and then the tides would rip the ship and them apart. I wonder if they would come out the other side and get reassembled?

Nah...

When I was young, I attended a lecture given by Mr. Billions and Billions. He was VERY entertaining.

Colin
May all your quarks be charmed.

ColinT
05-05-2002, 06:25 PM
it would never reach center of b.h. even if it hadn't been crushed - it would stop on Schwartzschilds (or whoever...) radius and remain there forever.

The Event Horizon is simply the point of no return where material that passes it cannot get out of the gravity well without many state changes:)

Actually the Event Horizon does allow movement in both directions.

Falling material passes and enters the singularity,

Then the high energy particles created by the falling material escape the Event Horizon and appear to our telescopes as X-Rays.

mr_mann
05-06-2002, 01:52 AM
whoa! dr colinT :D tell me a story sir :D whered u learn ur physics?

ColinT
05-07-2002, 05:00 PM
Twelve years ago I needed to know something. I figured the answer would be found in Physics, so I took courses. Eventually I found the answer in Chemistry. I've been making a living on that simple answer ever since:)

And my background as a Hard Sci-Fi fan for the last 40 years helped a lot with the question above.

Alpha_7
05-09-2002, 03:49 AM
Very interesting :))

rosyboa
05-11-2002, 02:47 AM
I think that a question and answer session between Hawking and ColinT would be awesome...:thumbs:

Alpha_7
05-11-2002, 03:35 AM
Dr Colin T Question Time...

Starring S. Hawking

rosyboa
05-12-2002, 04:22 AM
Colin T,

What was the question that Physics couldn't answer but Chemistry could?

Alpha_7
05-12-2002, 06:55 AM
Yeah I would be interested in knowing the answer to that one too.. :)

dragongoddess
05-17-2002, 10:10 PM
Must disagree on the tearing up quote. I think the size , shape and rotation of the ship may have more to do with what happens then is usually accepted.:thumbs:

mr_mann
05-18-2002, 12:59 AM
well the size of the ship would REALLY matter...

a ship being torn apart.. who knows what a different amount of partical mass would do to a black hole...

rosyboa
06-02-2002, 06:27 AM
Art Bell said that Hawking is wrong!

He said that aliens from "Area 51," now located at center earth via the north pole, are responsible for black holes.

I for one believe him...

Fact: We are from Mars.

Don't believe me?

Talk to Richard C Hoagland.

http://www.enterprisemission.com/