PDA

View Full Version : College recruitment

jamesiv
04-30-2002, 01:10 PM
hey all,

anyway i'm a college student here in Ohio, and just got to thinking how many college kids have computers and would be willing to help out in this effort.

Just wanted to know how many other users out there are in a college and how easy it would be to put up some flyers over campus or raise this issue in classes. I have already recruited like 15 people by word of mouth alone. if we all tried this project could really take off quick. Also maybe the promoters could maybe do more to link with universities.. all those labs just waiting to help out with the processing.. just a thought anyway..

rock on.

Scott Jensen
05-01-2002, 03:16 AM
There's a lot of things that could be done to promote and market this project, but apparently that's not to be discussed at this time.

However, if it could be discussed, I would have recommended you scan in your poster, drop it on a separate webpage of your student homepage, put a link to that webpage here in a reply to this thread, and solicit comments as well as encourage copying and posting by other college students on their campuses.

But, again, since we're not to discuss marketing of this project yet, I won't make that suggestion. ;-)

bwkaz
05-01-2002, 07:43 AM
Yeah, at the moment, the people that wrote the client (Howard for one, and probably others) are more concerned with getting bugs worked out and making UI changes than active recruitment of more members.

Once they start advertising, I will too (I'm a college student at Michigan Tech).

Brian the Fist
05-01-2002, 12:30 PM
That is correct. We have not actively recruited the first 2.5 months since we were busy fixing bugs and adding features. Also we had a wimpy server at first as some of the earlier users know :rotfl: We are now preparing the back end to have no trouble scaling to 100K + users and are also preparing code adjustments needed for CASP. However, I feel the client and screensaver are now stable enough to unleash on the world. Auto-update seems to be functional for almost everyone as well which was another critical thing I wanted to ensure was functional, as this gives us great control over changing proteins on the project with little or no effort from the users.
It is approaching the point where the project can manage itself with little attention from me (so I can get thesis work done, hooray ;))

Thus we certainly intend to promote the project when we are ready, and we encourage all the users to help promote it for us, be it by word-of-mouth, linking to it on their web sites, posters, and so on. We want to become one of THE distributed computing projects certainly, in the near future.

To Scott: your offers have not fallen on deaf ears, as I said we are just not quite ready to start publicizing it at the scale you probably have in mind. We are getting close though.

Scott Jensen
05-01-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Brian the Fist
To Scott: your offers have not fallen on deaf ears, as I said we are just not quite ready to start publicizing it at the scale you probably have in mind. We are getting close though.

:D :cheers: :) :|party|: :thumbs: