PDA

View Full Version : Stupid 'screensaver'

lwgt
04-30-2002, 02:38 PM
What kind of "screensaver" is a Thing which has about 20% of screen area spent on totally static screen burning adverticement crap..
Please, forget all the marketroids adverticement shit and leave JUST the moving protein.
javascript:smilie(':mad:')
mad

Aegion
04-30-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by lwgt
What kind of "screensaver" is a Thing which has about 20% of screen area spent on totally static screen burning adverticement crap..
Please, forget all the marketroids adverticement shit and leave JUST the moving protein.
javascript:smilie(':mad:')
mad

"Screensavers" are not really needed with today's monitors. If you have a relatively new moniter it can go for weeks without an image burning itself onto your monitor, most monitors can be set to display a blank image after a designated period of innactivity. If you are doing the project for the science, and don't care that much about the screen saver, the cli version of the client runs much faster than the screensaver version. If you go here, (http://tsf.dbestern.net/gettingstarted.php) you can get instructions on how to get started with that version of the client. Just skip the "current team" step if you don't want to join Team Stir Fry, although we are a helpful group of people who can answer various question you may have about the client.

lwgt
04-30-2002, 04:32 PM
It's really a psychological thing.
People HATE ads.
People assume that screensavers act like screensavers, instead like marketdroid advertisement areas.
Protein search project is supposed to be
a free contribution thing, it gives a very bad expression that this thing is used as an advertisement area.

Aegion
04-30-2002, 04:43 PM
It's really a psychological thing.
People HATE ads.
People assume that screensavers act like screensavers, instead like marketdroid advertisement areas.
Protein search project is supposed to be
a free contribution thing, it gives a very bad expression that this thing is used as an advertisement area.

Admittedly I haven't used the screensaver, but I believe it just informs the user what the screensaver that is being run does. Seti@home basicly does the same thing with its screensaver. I'm not aware of any distributed screensaver projects which don't advertise themselves, I actually believe many people want to know where they can go to get more information about what the screensaver they see is doing. Unless I am missing something, it is not like the program is running unrelated adds.

lwgt
04-30-2002, 04:53 PM
Just to continue on a useless thread.
I could remote-install this kind of thing on all our PC's (appr. 300 of them) but because of the AD stuff I definately refuse to get all the crap from ad-haters.
I have this stuff now installed on some W2k servers and some linux-servers.
but as general screensaver on peoples machines, forget it.
Just because of crappy ads.
You guys are getting free computertime from all of us, why do you want to screw us with ads. Aint the free cycles enough?

Aegion
04-30-2002, 05:13 PM
Just to continue on a useless thread.
I could remote-install this kind of thing on all our PC's (appr. 300 of them) but because of the AD stuff I definately refuse to get all the crap from ad-haters.
I have this stuff now installed on some W2k servers and some linux-servers.
but as general screensaver on peoples machines, forget it.
Just because of crappy ads.
You guys are getting free computertime from all of us, why do you want to screw us with ads. Aint the free cycles enough?

Basicly what I am saying is I don't think seti does things any differently. I'm just a user of the client, I'm not one the individuals who writes the program. There are ways to get the client version of the program to run invisible to the users if you want to mass install it on all the computers. If you want info on how to do this, this forum (http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=frm&s=50009562&f=122097561) is where various Team Stir Fry members hang out, some of whom have experience installing the client so that it isn't seen by the users of the computers.

IronBits
04-30-2002, 09:08 PM
The simple solution is to use the non-screen saver version. The client version, the one not using a screen saver is much faster.

Just have the power option turn off the monitor, rather than run a screen saver. If the video card or monitor does not support that function, then use the 'blank' screen saver. The non-gui client will go about it's business, quickly.

As to your original complaint, I hear ya and agree. If your serious about the science part of it, then the above scenario is perfect for this.

Scoofy12
05-01-2002, 01:54 PM
More to the point these "ads" that you talk about arent really ads in the "marketdroid" sense at all. Aegion is right, they so nothing more than to show who does the project, and this is no different than "stanford alzheimer whatever research project" in F@H or all the other DC clients. nobody buys the space and nobody's trying to get anyone to buy anything. as far as i can tell, that makes it not an ad. maybe it could be smaller, but if it really bothers you, just install the text client as a system service, or run some other DC client (even though they do the same thing). if you would like to suggest or ask for a change, that's fine too, but bitching, moaning, whining and spreading general negativity don't do anyone any good.

Brian the Fist
05-02-2002, 10:24 AM
I would just like to point out that our screensaver does NOT contain 'ads'. They are not 'clickable', they are just static logo images. The logos you are referring to are those of the project itself, and those of our funding sources. We are a public/University research institute, and obtain all our funding from government bodies. Out of courtesy, we have placed the logos of our funding agencies in the screensaver just as in all scientific publications, authors generally acknowledge the grants under which the work was done. I hate ads just as much as the next person and do not appreciate such accusations so please think before you write a message like that.