PDA

View Full Version : Multiple islands assigned?

willy1
08-18-2004, 03:53 PM
I just started running this again a few days ago on one single-CPU box.

It appears every time a new circuit is started, I'm assigned 2 islands, instead of just one, and they are usually adjacent, so I don't get the benefit (?) of being next to four other active islands. Example - right now I have 0,-1 and 1,-1

Why is this happening? Running only one client under W2k.

willy1
Free-DC

willy1
08-20-2004, 04:01 PM
Anyone here?

michaelgarvie
08-23-2004, 06:27 AM
Hi Willy,

Welcome back! One question to help me work out what's going on: Do both islands have the same name? Ie. Do they both say "Willy's Monica"?

prokaryote
08-23-2004, 09:51 AM
I had an instance of the wrong island being displayed in the Monica's title bar. Shut it down and re-started the client (happened on Friday Aug. 20) For me there wasn't two islands, just the one.

willy1
08-23-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by miguelgarvie
Hi Willy,

Welcome back! One question to help me work out what's going on: Do both islands have the same name? Ie. Do they both say "Willy's Monica"?

I don't know where you're asking me to look.

I only had one client running, so only one dos box and one java window open. The java window showed a neighbor island with my userid in the left panel .

The other place I saw the two islands is on the stats page. The Island Topology map showed two adjacent islands, and the 'Current Best Individual Ranking' also had two entries.

This only happened when a new circuit started, and the client was never restarted.

michaelgarvie
08-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Ah! OK!:spray: I thought it was an old bug coming back!

But that's fine. This happens because now an island is allocated per connection. When the task changes slightly (new mut. rate) the client realises this, disconnects and reconnects just in case the class files have changed. Hence everytime the task is changed a bit, you get two islands allocated.

This doesn't affect performance at all since migration can occur with islands that are up to 5 squares away, with a probability decreasing with distance. So thanks for pointing it out and not to worry!
:cheers:

stanray
08-27-2004, 02:54 PM
I haven't done DHEP in awhile and was wondering if the naming of islands has changed? Way back when on the old site I thought I remembered there being a warning about using the same name across several islands on several systems or else devilish things may occur to the points totals. The recommendation was to give each island it's own name. Has that changed?

Stan

rshepard
08-27-2004, 03:07 PM
Yes that has changed-- you can run everything under one name if you wish.