PDA

View Full Version : Can't get enough WU for dual HT Xeon boxes

willy1
09-02-2004, 01:55 PM
Has anybody fiogured out how to get a full load of WU (4).
CPDN sees all 4 CPUs, I have MaxCPU =4 set in preferences, CPDN gets 100% of resources, updated, reset, uninstalled, reinstalled, done everything except sacrifice a virgin at the CPDN altar....

:bang: :bang: :bang:

PCZ
09-02-2004, 03:35 PM
willy1

Are you attached to any other projects ?
CP likes to play nice and give the other projects a chance.

I would go to your preferences and increase the disk space allocation and the number of CPU's to eight.

willy1
09-02-2004, 05:13 PM
No other BOINC projects

I upped the MaxCPU setting to 8 and forced an update. No change.

Got LOTS of disk space - 12GB allocated.

Any more ideas?

willy1
09-02-2004, 06:13 PM
I think I found a 'Home' preferences set that conflicted with the General preferences. Don't know where it came from, don't remember doing one.

It appears to want to download addiotnal WUs now, but I have exceeded some 'Daily Quota'. WTF is that??????

Chinasaur
09-02-2004, 06:32 PM
How do I switch over to this project if I entered S@H's URL?

Tks,

A BOINC newb :cheers:

willy1
09-02-2004, 06:56 PM
On the Projects tab, 'Detach' the SETI project, then use the 'Settings' Menu option to Attach to a new project. You'll need to create your CPDN account first.

The URL for Climate Prediction is www.climateprediction.net and your Account ID is from the email you get when you create your CPDN account.

Go here (http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cpdnboinc/download_main.php) for the whole scoop.

Welnic
09-02-2004, 07:56 PM
You can also run both projects and allocate percentage of work that you want to go to each project.

PCZ
09-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Make sure you go into your prefs and increase the amount of disc space allocated to Boinc.
CP won't run proparly with the default settings.
Also change this setting to yes
Leave applications in memory while preempted?

Be careful when doing your prefs because it is easy to activate the seperate prefs for home and they override the defaults.
Best set up both the same to be on the safe side.

If you attach to Seti and CP they will timeslice.
At default setting of 100 they will both get an equal amount of CPU time, they actually swap round once an hour.

Welnic
09-03-2004, 01:44 AM
I didn't change any of the default settings, and my limit on disk space is set to 100 GB. I'm hoping that is enough. :confused:

PCZ
09-03-2004, 03:30 AM
100gb is plenty.

I had a much lower limit than that and CP wouldn't start.

Welnic
09-03-2004, 03:46 AM
The default settings are for all BOINC clients, correct? So if you signed up for BOINC originally with another project maybe their default setting would be too low to run cp. I signed up for BOINC with cp, so that must be why my default was so high.

PCZ
09-03-2004, 04:04 AM
Yes I think you are right.

I signed up for predictor and Seti before CP.

Also the most recently changed prefs override all the others, I have just been making them all the same across the Boinc projects.

willy1
09-03-2004, 02:12 PM
What is this 'Daily Quota' thing?

I finally got the HT box to request 2 additional WUs, but they both bombed with the Visual Fortran runtime error - although the other two WUs on the same box are crunching happily away. After they crashed, the client has been trying since yesterday to get two more WUs, but the Daily Quota thing keeps blocking it.

I suppose I could trash the two WUs in progress, uninstall and reinstall to get a new Computer ID, but that's not nice for the project.

Welnic
09-03-2004, 04:41 PM
If you go to the cp site right now to look at stats there is a statement about this:

Notice: Unfortunately a problem in generating workunits occurred over the past few days, so incorrect Fortran namelist files were sent. If your new run crashed immediately, this is most likely why. Please 'Reset' the project to re-'Attach' and you should get a correct workunit. Sorry for the inconvenience

So go get some new work. :|party|:

willy1
09-03-2004, 05:36 PM
That will kill the two WUs I've been crunching.

OH WELL - That's their loss I guess.

willy1
09-06-2004, 03:04 PM
OK- finally got the dual Xeon HT box crunching 4 WUs. The CPDN forum "Should I Switch to BOINC" thread says that HT Pentiums should be the hot thing for BOINC CPDN, but mine are running as if their feet are mired in ooze...

A 2.0 P4 is trickling about 3 times a day, and these are barely making it to once a day. The sec/TimeStep is at about 7.1 for the Xeons, and 2.5 for the P4.

Anyone think of a reason why this should be? Got lots of RAM and disk, no competing processes.

willy1

PCZ
09-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Is the Xeon box a dual with hyperthreading giving four CPU's ?
What clock speed are the Xeons ?

Assuming they are 2ghz like your P4 and they are hyperthreaded then they should do a timestep in 5secs.
However you have to take memory bandwidth into consideration, both CPU's are contending for the memory and this will slow them down.

willy1
09-06-2004, 06:07 PM
The Xeons are 2.8GHz 2 physical CPUs, 4 virtual

This is a top-end Dell rack-mount server, lots of RAM, and good memory bandwidth. Can't remember the exact specs - not near the box today.

willy1
09-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Even running only one model, the time was still slow.

CPDN couldn't come up with any solution, so I have reassigned those boxes to something else.

PCZ
09-08-2004, 06:24 PM
When you get a chance reboot the server and go into the bios.

Some Dells have an Install mode.
If this mode has been set it would explain the poor performance.

willy1
09-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Nope. That's not it either. Even turned off HT - the two models that started still ran at the dismal speed.

I gave up on it. Not worth the electricity to crunch that slow.