PDA

View Full Version : Screensaver low color depth question

Scoofy12
05-06-2002, 12:31 AM
I have a computer with an old s3 virge graphics card which (currently, as far as i know) will not support GL at 16 bit color. is there any way to
a) run the Screensaver without showing the protein... this would be good because it would save precious cycles on the slow machine, or
b) suppress the warning box about how 8 bit color mode could be buggy. it pops up when the SS starts and AFAIK the thing wont start crunching until you hit ok, which of course you dont do if youre not at the computer. in other words theres not much point to having it there at all.
it wont work at other color depths, and running the text client all the time (ie when people are actually using it) is not an option because of the low ram in the thing. is there something that can be done about the message box or something that can just suppress all SS output at all?
thx as always :)

Aegion
05-06-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Scoofy12
I have a computer with an old s3 virge graphics card which (currently, as far as i know) will not support GL at 16 bit color. is there any way to
a) run the Screensaver without showing the protein... this would be good because it would save precious cycles on the slow machine, or
b) suppress the warning box about how 8 bit color mode could be buggy. it pops up when the SS starts and AFAIK the thing wont start crunching until you hit ok, which of course you dont do if youre not at the computer. in other words theres not much point to having it there at all.
it wont work at other color depths, and running the text client all the time (ie when people are actually using it) is not an option because of the low ram in the thing. is there something that can be done about the message box or something that can just suppress all SS output at all?
thx as always :) '

I would strongly advise you to just run the text version of the client instead. There are ways to hide the program from view if this is an issue.

Brian the Fist
05-06-2002, 01:52 PM
I can remove the 256-color warning - forgot it was there actually. IF you set it to 640x480x256 color it should go moderately fastand of course only run when other programs are not in use. Don't use the text client of you are low on RAM or it'll eat up your free RAM even though it may run at low priority (though Windows may swap the memory it uses to the swap file on disk - so it MIGHT be ok, you could try it I guess)

Scoofy12
05-06-2002, 09:40 PM
if you could remove the 256 color warning, that would be great; i'd appreciate it ( i suppose it is a bit buggy, all the atoms show up red.. but at that resolution they are so small it doesnt matter anyway).. other than that no problems. thanks :)

Brian the Fist
05-07-2002, 11:23 AM
Scoofy:

If you like I can just e-mail you the update since otherwise you won't get it until the next time we change proteins. just send me an e-mail to trades@mshri.on.ca and Ill send you a copy with the message removed.