PDA

View Full Version : Scoring

Welnic
09-07-2004, 11:37 AM
So I started crunching, did it for five days on my dual 2.0GHz G5. I had about 1650 points. Then I saw an optimized for G5 boinc client, so I thought I would try a benchmark. I just put it in a folder, but when I ran it with the benchmark flag it asked me for a project URL. So instead of going through all of that crap I just ran it in the same folder that I already had running, since it was just doing a benchmark. It ran the benchmark, and then started trying to crunch data. Since it was version 3.2 it couldn't get any new data, since CP uses V4, but it did manage to throw away the work that I was already running. So I said "oh well", and started on a new set.

So today those points disappeared. Is this really the way that this project works? Your points don't really count until you finish the full run? The trickle points are just a tease to keep you going? If you run for 3 weeks and for some reason the data gets messed up, you are just out of luck? I'm not sure I can take the pressure.

FoBoT
09-07-2004, 12:10 PM
the extreme time commitment needed for slower boxen on this project is a huge negative for me

the one work thingy i did about 1 year ago took a 1 Ghz P3 ~ 3 months to complete

PCZ
09-07-2004, 01:03 PM
I agree that the time commitment is to much.

Like quite a lot of others I am doing work for CP whilst Predictor and Seti are down.
When those projects are back up CP will either be detached or run at a very low priority.

I think most of the runs started recently will never be completed.

Welnic
09-07-2004, 04:42 PM
It does look like this was an accidental glitch, it is not actually the plan to only give out points if you end up completing a work unit. I did end up, at the moment, losing the points, but it doesn't look like it is supposed to be that way.

Welnic
09-08-2004, 11:34 AM
I've now gotten all of my points back. It doesn't bother me if it takes a long time to complete a work unit, since they have the trickle system so you get credit the whole time. And as long as you get credit for the work that you've done when something goes wrong and you don't complete the wu.

There was a problem with the work that they were sending to Macs, so on a couple of machines I set up Seti as a backup and got work right away.