PDA

View Full Version : sneakerneting for dummies

FoBoT
09-13-2004, 01:11 PM
can someone post a brief 1,2,3 cookbook on how to sneakernet OGR ?

i have all these boxen and no direct internet connection

can i setup my laptop somehow to be a proxy thingy?

Darkness Productions
09-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Sure. From distributed.net, they have something called a personal proxy. It's the same thing that Bok runs that people connect to. Download it on your laptop. Configure it to point up to the d.net servers (default) or to Boks servers. Then, configure your clients to point to that laptop (or other server, etc). Everything is lovely.

If they can't access your laptop, set one of them as the main proxy machine, and sneakernet from there to the laptop, and back.

em99010pepe
09-13-2004, 01:20 PM
I can answer that.

1º- Install DNET in a computer with internet access
2º- Setup your client to download 1000 wu's
3º- Next copy that entire folder to your computer with no internet access
4º- Crunch all 1000 wu's
5º- When you had all wu's processed just copy the files *.ogf (buff-in.ogf/buff-out.ogf) to your computer with internet access and choose client-update buffers
6º- Copy only *.ogf files from your computer with internet to your computer with no internet access and start crunching again (overwrite the old ones with the new ones).

This is what I usually make when crunching OGR. The advantage of DNET is that you don't need to record a CD with your results to upload, they fit in a disk.

Carlos

FoBoT
09-13-2004, 03:53 PM
thank you both
perhaps i can get my Ghz back up doing something useful :elephant:

FoBoT
09-13-2004, 04:24 PM
p.s.

if i use the personal proxy, i can have windows and linux clients access it, correct?

Bok
09-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Any client can access it, yes.

Bok

FoBoT
09-13-2004, 04:40 PM
i have the PP setup and running on my laptop

i hope i didn't pull too many blocks from yours Bok, i pointed my PP at www.open-dc.org

i then setup the client on my laptop and it pulled blocks from itself via the PP

:drums:

now i can stay late and get some machines back to work :p

PY 222
09-13-2004, 05:18 PM
FoBoT, welcome back to the game mate. Missed your production.