PDA

View Full Version : Crank 'em up lads 15th place should be ours

Fozzie
09-23-2004, 10:12 AM
let's go get it.:cheers:

Jkusuda
09-24-2004, 08:48 PM
Putting the :spank: to my crunchers. Getting everything I can out of them.

:cheers:

furballexpress
09-24-2004, 09:42 PM
/me readies the torpedo tubes to sink another team (again?) ;)

redukt
10-01-2004, 01:34 PM
15th? Did you mean 17th or were we really ready to take over another teams position?

Jkusuda
10-04-2004, 03:44 PM
We should have 17th back within the week!!!

redukt
10-07-2004, 11:14 PM
I've got my machines on full blast. It'll be at least a day until a few WUs finish though. On the bright side, I should have three finish at the same time.

CaptainMooseInc
10-07-2004, 11:16 PM
I'm finishing out my current SETI WU and I'll turn back on my FaD console.

-Jeff

Moogie
10-08-2004, 09:23 AM
What should your settings be when you set this up? What gives you the most?

How long does it take for a WU to finish? In reading around..it seems like a while?

Jkusuda
10-08-2004, 09:46 AM
Moogie,

HIV and Cancer units seem to take longer. If you are using a slower processor you might want to set it not to do these types of units. I've had HIV units that took 2 weeks to process on a machine with an xp2600+. If you want to maximize your hits, the newer beta versions of the client seem to get more so you can check the beta box on the projects list. The times to complete are really variable ranging from minutes to weeks.

Hope this helps.

PS.....Glad to have all the rest of you guys (redukt, CaptainMoose, Longhorn) aboard crunching with us....

Moogie
10-08-2004, 10:01 AM
So, I have a HIV job that is at .76% complete. I guess you would say this is going to be one of those long ones? :D

I'll go back and check the beta box. I've got a few things checked...I'll see how it all runs.

I just wanted to check this project out. Seems like it automatically updates (DSL here) so I don't have to worry about it.

Doesn't look like it would matter if I poke the que to receive jobs..looks like it would take care of it automatically?

TIA!

Fozzie
10-08-2004, 10:25 AM
welcome to the sometimes glacial project tat is FaD.

Very satisfying when you get a hefty molecule with loads of hits etc.

Dunno how it works out the points but as JKusuda says sometimes you get quick jobs sometimes you get ones that take ages. Credit seems to be based on CPU time based on GHZ you are using and how long it takes.

So unless you are a stats junky it doesn't matter what type of WU you get. I go for Cancer and HIV as I'd like to think my electricity bill is going some way to get these off the planet.

wirthi
10-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Hits are great to have but in the end it's no use just running jobs that produce a lot of hits. While at some third party stats you can rank the users according to their hits the official rating is about GFlops.

And it doesn't matter how long a job takes, too. You get more GFlops for a job that took longer. If you run one job for a week or seven jobs for a day each, you'll get the same ammount of GFlops credited both times.

Moogie
10-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Talk to me about GFlops...I gather it's along the same line as WU????

So, it doesn't matter how big the job is...in the end it works out to be the same? (lots of small jobs vs one large one?)

Does it matter how many different choices you have? For instance, I have HIV/Cancer and a couple of others chosen. Does it run faster with less choices (I'm thinking that has nothing to do with it).

Would you suggest poking the que to receive more jobs...or just leave it be?

redukt
10-08-2004, 01:30 PM
AFAIK, a Gflop is a measurement of work done by the computer. So if you have one work unit that takes 251 GFlops worth of work, its the same as having 251 work units using 1 GFlop each. Though you may get a kickback points wise by spending a long time on one large WU, I'm not sure.

And AFAIK, choosing less types of work may make the individual work units go faster, but you won't be processing any more data than before.

And maybe someone can help me out...I thought choosing the Beta box on the projects list just helped FaD develop their newest client. What does choosing this box actually do? Kick the current client into beta mode? This is giving people faster turn around on WUs?

Moogie
10-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks redukt...that helps me understand things a bit better.

I'll wait for the answer about the beta box....I've got it checked on all of mine right now.

Jkusuda
10-08-2004, 04:42 PM
The beta checkbox AFAIK just allows the FAD client to install the newest beta onto your boxen. I don't think new clients are automatically downloaded without this.

Longbow
10-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Jkusuda

PS.....Glad to have all the rest of you guys (redukt, CaptainMoose, Longhorn) aboard crunching with us....

Longhorn? I suppose you are talking about me?

Glad to be here. I really like this client. The ability to install on a server and just run it from a shared folder on the clients is just plain awesome. Built in monitoring without the need of 3rd party apps is just the bomb!

wirthi
10-08-2004, 07:46 PM
Moogie,

open the "job info" dialog for your current running job (easiest done by right clicking the FAD-taskbar-icon and selecting "job info").

You'll see "Time (seconds)" and "CPU rating" there. The first is the number of seconds (actually used cup time I assume) the current job took up to now, the second one is some kind of benchmark of your CPU.

The number of gflops you'll get in stats for your workunit calculate like this:

gflops = seconds * cpu-rating / 450

So if your job took twice as long you'll get twice the points.