PDA

View Full Version : Best cheapest KVM?

Scott Jensen
05-07-2002, 12:19 PM
A friend of mine is looking to join this project and set up a computer farm to boot. He's mainly interested in just learning how to set up a Linux computer farm and do remote managing of it. He's simply picking this dc project since it's the one I'm involved in thus something we can later chat about. However, initially, he's looking to use a KVM to get this thing up and off the ground then later move onto some software solution. Sorry, I'm not a programmer so most of what he talked about just flew over my head. Anyway, he's right now looking to find the best cheapest 1x4 (can handle four computers) KVM. No OSD needed since physically turning a switch is no biggie to him. Later, he'll use a software solution to go beyond four computers. So does anyone have any recommendations for such a no-thrills KVM? A URL to a real good bargain? Or does someone have one simply sitting around the house collecting dust that would love a nice home? :) He's more than willing to pay for the shipping. :D

Also, any suggestions or webpages that would be instructive for him on how to set up such a Linux computer farm? They can be very technical as he's an experienced computer jack-of-all-trades with a college degree in computer science. He's wanting to structure the farm so that it can hypothetically could handle a very large number of computers, if not an unlimited number. Again, he's looking at this as partly a learning experience ... and likely a resume stuffer. ;)

KWSN-DD849
05-07-2002, 01:01 PM
I don't know about the cheapest, but I use a Starview SV431. Bought it at BUY.com, Found it there for less than anywhere else:thumbs: