PDA

View Full Version : confused about client behavior with dial-up

allenfinch
09-27-2004, 11:08 PM
I'm sorry if this question doesn't make complete sense. I don't feel I have a good grasp on this project so forgive any foolishness. I feel I have pretty thoroughly read the faq and threads on this forum and I still don't understand the behavior of the client.

how many generations between uploads to server on present work?

How often does the dhep stats page update?

How often are resets occuring/new work handed out or how often is the client forced to download from the server?

I ask these things for the following reason.

I'm on dial-up. 2ghz athlonxp

I have been running for only a few days. When I first start the client while my connection is up I seem to accumulate stats rapidly. The first few hours I ran the client I had 50-100k gens and a few million circuits shown in stats. Does this seem correct or even possible?

Then I disconnect for the night. Next morning I reconnect. I realize my settings are to connect every hour, but my connection was up for a number of hours that morning so the client had ample time to try its hourly connect. Even though I had crunched a few hundred thousand gens through the night I show some stats growth, but only a fraction of what I showed crunching many fewer gens while connected the night before.

In short, upon reconnecting, I don't seem to get the level of credit that I get crunching with a fresh client start and keeping my connection up.

This has been my experience a number of times over during the first few days of crunching.

Is this expected behavior? If so could someone explain why it works like this.
If not, is it possible there is some glitch that causes the client to behave in unexpected ways when connections are not consistent?
-------
Final question: in the" Can't seem to connect section" of the faq there is this line

"If you're behind a firewall, try opening port 1777"
but this port is not listed anywhere else in explanations or advice about firewalls, including the faq which earlier stated the requirement to open 4 ports 1098,1099,2010,2011

What is the reason for this advice and port that doesn't seem to correspond to anything else I've seen about the client?

michaelgarvie
09-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by allenfinch

how many generations between uploads to server on present work?

This depends on the interact time and I've added a new entry in the FAQ to address this:
http://www.informatics.sussex.ac.uk/users/mmg20/dhe/faq.php#interact

How often does the dhep stats page update?

Stats are real-time.

How often are resets occuring/new work handed out or how often is the client forced to download from the server?

Depends on the task. Last week there was a short task for two days. The current one has been going on for over a week now.

Then I disconnect for the night. Next morning I reconnect. I realize my settings are to connect every hour, but my connection was up for a number of hours that morning so the client had ample time to try its hourly connect. Even though I had crunched a few hundred thousand gens through the night I show some stats growth, but only a fraction of what I showed crunching many fewer gens while connected the night before.

In short, upon reconnecting, I don't seem to get the level of credit that I get crunching with a fresh client start and keeping my connection up.

This could be due to the following: you were crunching a harder task one day so each generation counted for more work and the other day it was an easier task.

Final question: in the" Can't seem to connect section" of the faq there is this line

"If you're behind a firewall, try opening port 1777"
but this port is not listed anywhere else in explanations or advice about firewalls, including the faq which earlier stated the requirement to open 4 ports 1098,1099,2010,2011

What is the reason for this advice and port that doesn't seem to correspond to anything else I've seen about the client?

Thanks for your comments, I've fixed the FAQ accordingly.
:cheers:
Miguel

allenfinch
09-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Sorry to be a pill, but I'm still confused about some of the terminology.

"This could be due to the following: you were crunching a harder task one day so each generation counted for more work and the other day it was an easier task."

Above this you said the following.
" Last week there was a short task for two days. The current one has been going on for over a week now."

I am confused about how task is being defined.

I thought a single task was downloaded from the server and then generations were calculated, migration occurred between islands until the server was reset for a new task. The second quote seems to support this, but this doesn't seem to mesh with the first quote in response to my circumstances.

Can I be processing different tasks throughout the day even though I am not connected or do you mean that each generation, within a task, can have a variable amount of credit/difficulty. I seemed to be processing generations at a consistent rate and I seem to be able to predict the rate of generations processing, but not credit. This concerns me because I'm not sure whether I am misunderstanding the nature of the work, misunderstanding credit calculations or if something is not functioning as it should once I disconnect(which is my major concern). I have past experience with other projects where, even though they are supposed to be able to handle dial-up, clients seem to behave oddly with dial-up disconnects, don't seem to function normally upon reconnection, have to be restarted to function correctly once disconnected, etc.

Also, if I crunch through the night while unconnected do I get credit for all that work done upon reconnecting in the same way I would if I remained connected or do I receive diminished credit since there is no migration occurring?

A final question related to this. Twice over the last 4 days I have returned to my machine, while it was connected, to find the gui closed and the client trying to download from the server. Would this have been normal behavior over the past weekend or is the client likely dealing with some error or could the gui be crashing and triggering something in the client? I saw nothing indicating an error, but didn't know whether the client could be downloading even though the task, as defined in the second quote above, had not changed.

Thank You again and I'll try not to take up any more of your time.

michaelgarvie
09-30-2004, 01:59 PM
Hiya, a task is a something the server gives the client to do. The client must connect to the server to receive the new task. The first comment meant to say that maybe one day the client was doing an easy task, then it got a new task from the server, and the next day it was doing a harder task.

To maximise your credit you should keep your connection live as much as possible.
:thumbs: Miguel

em99010pepe
09-30-2004, 02:03 PM
Hi allenfinch,

You can try this software (http://www.adslkeepalive.co.uk/) to keep your connection live. I know it is only for ADSL connections but you can try to see if it works.

Carlos

allenfinch
10-01-2004, 10:57 AM
Thank You for the link Carlos.

em99010pepe
10-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by allenfinch
Thank You for the link Carlos.

Your welcome.
It is a cool program that permits:
1º - to keep permanent on your internet connection (DYNAMIC DNS and PHONE BOOK ENTRY TAB)
2º - to dial-up your internet connection when windows starts (PHONE BOOK ENTRY TAB)
3 º - to launch programs on first connect (LAUNCH PROGRAM TAB)

Carlos