PDA

View Full Version : Trust eBay?

CaptainMooseInc
10-06-2004, 10:57 PM
Should I trust the sellers from eBay to buy my computer's CPU? I'm bidding on a supposedly new in-retail-box Sempron 2400 but I don't know if I can trust it. Anyone have any computer buying parts experience from eBay?

-Jeff

matrix_fan
10-07-2004, 12:06 AM
I decide on the ratings others gave, and if the guy is paypal buy protected ;)IF he is, they'll protect you up to 500 dollars, and then if the price unreasonably low, i dont trust them.. lol

IronBits
10-07-2004, 12:07 AM
What is ebay ?

:rotfl:

matrix_fan
10-07-2004, 12:09 AM
i dont think that's helping him...:Pokes:

GHOST
10-07-2004, 12:24 AM
i trust newegg

i have had goodluck buying items on ebay, just never bought computer parts there.

i know another member here had some bad luck. a high rated power seller went bankrupt holding alot of our buddy's cash.

i have several asus mobos and athlon xp i will put on ebay, meant to a long time ago. people pay higher for used stuff on ebay than i can buy new from newegg.

CaptainMooseInc
10-07-2004, 12:54 AM
I'll never buy from Newegg.com again. Here's the list of what I bought for my first computer from them (I bought everything else elsewhere):

Mobo
Processor
HS&F
RAM
HDD
5.1 Surround Sound Card
5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

Here's the list of what DIED within 2 weeks of having it (and they REFUSED to trade it out except the MOBO which they replaced and it was DOA):

Mobo
Processor
HS&F
HDD
5.1 Surround Sound Card
5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

That's right, everything but the RAM. I consider NEWEGG.COM a NEW AGE RIPOFF. I know many ppl here like Newegg.com, and I have many friends that love it too, but I had a bad experience and got stuck with over $500 in BAD parts (I was 15 at the time and that was a lot of money for how much I worked).

-Jeff

(I'm bidding on a Sempron right now, I won't go much over what I've bid so far, but if I win and get it I'll post the good seller's name. He's got a 1500+ rating over a 6 yr period and the only complaints are -slow shipping-).

Bok
10-07-2004, 09:55 AM
I've spent probably $10K at newegg over the last few years and never had a problem, except for two refurbed mobo's. That's a risk I'm willing to take though.

As for ebay, I've also never had a problem on it, but then I usually only buy stuff that I can't get elsewhere and your are usually safe then... took me a long time to find a copy of Betty Blue on DVD :p Not the taiwanese censored version either. Ended up getting a region 2 (Aus) copy of it still shrinkwrapped for $25 :)

Just a few weeks ago I bid and won a set of 30 Dean Koontz books for $30. All in perfect condition including 5 hardbacks!! And two 1st editions..

Bok

Scoofy12
10-07-2004, 11:11 AM
i just bought a cellphone on ebay (my wife decided hers was too dirty and threw it in the wash with her jeans...doh! )

took a risk on someone with no feedback at all as a seller; he said it was "almost new" and was getting rid of it because his girlfriend didnt like it:rolleyes: ...

but yeah, it works great, and looks brand new.

alpha
10-07-2004, 01:25 PM
I've purchased a Compaq Armada 6500 (low end laptop, P2 366 if memory serves). No problems with that.

My most recent purchase is my baby - an IBM Model M keyboard (the kind with clicky keys!). The particular one I purchased was manufactured in the late 80's and works like a dream (typing on it now). The ones with UK layouts aren't very common on eBay, over the course of several weeks I only saw two (the first one I let slide, clinched the second).

I've bought and sold quite a lot of stuff on eBay and never had a single problem with anybody. I always pay by PayPal if I can, but have also sent (and received) cheques, again with no problems.

Anyway, getting back to my point - whilst the keyboard possibly isn't as valuable as a CPU, the laptop was quite pricey and the transaction was flawless.