PDA

View Full Version : Hold your current WU!

CaptainMooseInc
10-08-2004, 11:22 PM
I've got a suggestion for the FaD addicts out there. The proteome target 1q41-q1 is expected to finish up on Oct 11. That's roughly 3 days from now (2 now if you are further East). Anywayz, I've unchecked all other projects except proteome and I'm knocking out WUs like crazy. With the proteome WUs you can run 2 instances of FaD on AMD Athlon XP 2400+ or higher systems (my Sempron 2800+ is toasting these things). I figured that if it knocked out 2 WUs that fast that it might knock out WUs even faster as just one instance. NOT TRUE! I've completed 18 proteome WUs with roughly the same number of hits using the 2 instances of FaD in the same time it took to do 8 proteome WUs with just one instance.

Shift gears and knock this target off the map. Yeah, sure they'll come out with a new one right after this one is over, but still. I wanna bum rush it. Then we can shift processes and bum rush another protein target.

Hmm...catching onto something...maybe we could make little subteams for FaD where we take specific protein targets, and when one team's protein target gets close to completing (i.e. 99.5% for harder targets such as HIV and cancer, 93% for lesser targets such as Proteome) all other teams shift and bum rush it.

Just a thought...I like making ideas...

-Jeff

wirthi
10-09-2004, 07:12 AM
What would be the use of such a concentration on one target?

Fozzie
10-09-2004, 01:56 PM
I have hit Proteome hard with all the boxen I have at home.

OK so this a definition of "hitting hard" that may not equate to most people's .

:rotfl:

CaptainMooseInc
10-09-2004, 02:46 PM
The use (to my eyes at least) would be a quicker completion of a target. Instead of having a team spread out amongst different projects, to be able to focus on a certain target to complete it quicker would seem a bit more entertaining. Yeah, we are all working on different targets and whatnot, but to turn focus to a target nearing completion would be fun, then we go back to our normal drug targets that we like to crunch for. Kinda like giving the target a second wind as it is winding to a close.

wirthi
10-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Well, if the team is motivated by such an action than I'd support the idea.

Doesn't have any positive effects on the effort itself though.

I personally prefer to find overtaking other team members as entertaining. A pity I didn't have much of that fun lately :)

redukt
10-09-2004, 05:13 PM
I'll take points anywhere I can get them. Personally, I don't see a whole lot of return on investment for the (small) ammount of effort it would take me to shift my boxxen to that one target.

But I'm lazy.
:sleepy: