PDA

View Full Version : Network service install?

Finberg
05-11-2002, 01:38 PM
Hi, just about to start DF'ing with our lab machines. I have access to two labs at the college I go to with administrative access and I was wondering if anyone had a way to install DF over the network rather than having to log into each computer and install it.

MAD-ness
05-11-2002, 02:49 PM
I have not seen nor heard of anything relating to a network service install but perhaps someone will correct me.

I am not sure what OS you are running. If you are running NT and doing the service installation, I *think* you could do this using your normal network installation scripts/programs/packages.

The program doesn't have an executable to install, you simply unzip it. You need to have a 'handle.txt' file for the client to start up, but once you register an account you can copy your 'handle.txt' to as many instances of the client as you desire. I don't see why you couldn't add the 'handle.txt' file to the client download .zip file in the distribfold\ directory.

Then you could unzip the client .zip file onto the computers on the network using whatever programs you use for these sorts of things. You would need to issue the command to install the service, but again, this could be done via batch file I think and should be possible using whatever network software installation software you normally use.

I haven't tried any of this and am definitely not an expert, but since you simply have to put the files in the proper place and there aren't system specific hooks, you should be able to script up something to automate this for your network.

I think. hehe.