PDA

View Full Version : CRC errors

Evilmoose
10-26-2004, 08:55 PM
I was tring to intall a cad/cam pakage on my A64 running win 2000 advanced server.
Everything was going fine untill I had to install some microsoft data access componets, and I came up with a cyclic redundency error. I tried to restart my computer and I get the missing system file error:rolleyes: .

I have delt with this more than once before so no big deal, I find my windows disk and try a recovery. It can find any windows instalations. No problem I have seen this before too. I figure Ill just reintall without formating becuase I have some data I am tring to save. It finds the partion but tells me I have to reformat because some data is corupt:mad:

Now Im getting mad, Ill my picutures of the kids are on the disk, so I put the disk in another computer. I can see the disk but I try to access it I get a "d:\ is not accessable --- Incorect Function"

Does anyone have any advice or no of any software that can recover some files from this.

BTW its fat32 partion

Darkness Productions
10-27-2004, 08:24 AM
You might try some of the stuff from UltimateBootCD (http://ultimatebootcd.com), but from the stuff you've stated already, it sounds like the drive is dead. You may have luck at some of the more expensive data recovery shops, but we're talking *expensive* to get the data back offa there...

Fozzie
10-27-2004, 08:46 AM
should be able to get all your personal data back for you.

It's cheaper than going to Ontrack themselves.

There is a trail version but I think that only recovers a certain number of files.

QIbHom
10-27-2004, 09:04 AM
This is the method I used when I had a drive go bad a few months ago;

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-knopx.html

Looks more intimidating than it is.

Good luck!

IronBits
10-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Is it a SCSI or IDE drive?
IF SCSI, chances are better...
Find an identical drive - the closer the Serial Number the better...

The controller is ON the IDE drives, *sometimes* you can swap the PCB with an identical drive to get your data back.

NDD to diagnose it would help I think...
Let the drive cool off if it's HOT
IF it was used to being in a HOT environment, and now it's in a much cooler area, the heads/data tracks are not aligned...

Give me more info. and think about possibly shipping me your drive and I'll take a good look at it to see what I can do.

Evilmoose
10-28-2004, 02:17 AM
I am running a scan with ontrack and it seems to be working.
Ill let you know soon:)

Evilmoose
10-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Well Thanks for the help all and thanks for the offer IB.
I had roughly 1000 picures of my kids on this disk and I recovered about 900 of them.
Im happy I didnt lose everthing but still kindof upset about the rest. Spending the last 2 days looking at all those pictures makes you realize how important they are.
Not that it means much but I managed to save my Node.prp for TSC and D2OL also.

Is this drive worth tring to reformat or is just going to be another disapointment waiting to happen. My A64 is strickly a cruncher at the moment with an old 2gig on it.

IronBits
10-30-2004, 07:32 AM
Backups... enough said.

Burn your 'stuff' to DVD or CD if it's important to you... all the time.

I always partition my drives so that the OS gets the first 10GB, and if I have a 2nd drive, I backup my stuff to a second drive, daily. You can us ntbackup systemstate c:

Robocopy and the OS Scheduler work great for this purpose. :)
I've been known to backup my Servers to another Server, and that Server to yet another Server.

I currently backup this computer accross the network to another computer which has Raid mirroring using a pair of 120GB drives.
The important personal stuff also gets burned to a DVD/RW drive :D

You should at least try a fdisk, re-format, let NDD diagnose it fully, then install your OS. Keep your personal stuff off that drive until at least 30 days of usage and no errors. (or backup daily)

Because money is not as important as my data, I would toss the drive, and I have done so in the past. I did a warranty claim on an expensive SCSI drive once, but with the price of 80GB drives costing ~$50 bucks, the question begs to be asked... Is $50 worth your DATA ? Only you can answer that one.

robocopy "c:\documents and settings" "d:\documents and settings" /S /E /Z /R:1 /W:1 /log:c:\temp\mybackup.log

or

robocopy "c:\documents and settings" "\\ComputerName\Sharename" /S /E /Z /R:1 /W:1 /log:c:\temp\mybackup.log

or for multiple areas

robocopy "c:\documents and settings" "\\ComputerName\Sharename" /S /E /Z /R:1 /W:1 /log:c:\temp\mybackup.log
robocopy "D:\downloads" "\\ComputerName\Sharename" /S /E /Z /R:1 /W:1 /log+:c:\temp\mybackup.log

Here is one of my old Server backup routines

@echo off
:: Backup Ars Super Computer
C:\WINNT\robocopy.exe D:\ARSSC_db F:\ARSSC_db /np /s /r:1 /w:2 /log:c:\temp\backup.log
C:\WINNT\robocopy.exe D:\InetPub\ArsSuperComputer F:\ArsSuperComputer /np /s /r:1 /w:2 /log+:c:\temp\backup.log

:: Backup Free-DC Super Computer
C:\WINNT\robocopy.exe D:\FDCSC_db F:\FDCSC_db /np /s /r:1 /w:2 /log+:c:\temp\backup.log
C:\WINNT\robocopy.exe D:\InetPub\FreeDC_SuperComputer F:\FreeDC_SuperComputer /np /s /r:1 /w:2 /log+:c:\temp\backup.log

:: Backup all Mandrake backups
rem C:\WINNT\robocopy.exe D:\Backups F:\Backups /np /s /r:1 /w:1 /log+:c:\temp\backup.log

:: Backup All of SetiQ
C:\WINNT\robocopy.exe "D:\program files\setiqueue" F:\SetiQueue /MIR /np /s /r:1 /w:1 /log+:c:\temp\backup.log