PDA

View Full Version : Fatal error! ( another crash again!!!!!)

Mobocastor
05-12-2002, 01:21 PM
Howard, anyone!

I have had this client crash on more than one occasion for the same reason. I am using a Win2k Pro machine P3 running 24/7. Fortunately I was still able to uplaoad all my results which had accumulated to 30,000 folds. The following is the list from the error log. I would like to know what is crashing this client as thier apparantly still seems to be bugs.

<FATAL ERROR: [010.000] {trajtools.c, line 1925} Could not open/create data file>

Anyone know what's up with this? Later.

Brian the Fist
05-12-2002, 04:17 PM
That is a file permission problem. What directory have you installed the client to, and do you have full write permission to it? Also what is your TEMP directory sent to and do you run any programs that erase files in the TEMP dir or are you running on an NFS mounted directory, for example?

Mobocastor
05-12-2002, 05:42 PM
Howard,

The clients all reside in the same directories. I have full permission. This problem always seems to appear at random on all my machines at various times. It seems to me that I should have no problems running the client in it's current configuration. Why the client would cease to open the rotamer library I just don't understand as I can have these clients running for long periods at a time using the -df parameter. Something is amiss here and am just trying to nail down why the library refuses to not open at random and why the client should be doing this in the first place. All your questions do not apply. Sorry.

KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
05-12-2002, 07:35 PM
I experienced the same problem on some of my servers. Backup Exec was the cause. It locks a subdirectory while it is being backed up to tape. Additionally, if you run the backup exec's open file agent to "unlock" filles while being backed up this will also cause the file probs. Some administrative tools appear to erase the temp directory from time to time as well.

jpb1
05-13-2002, 07:42 AM
I've started getting this error as well now, on a XP 1700, W2K Pro. This is a dedicated cruncher 24/7. The only other thing running on the machine is VNC. Have restarted 4 times always getting the same error, uninstalled and re-installed twice. Will run about 2 mins then get the same error again.

Supp
05-13-2002, 08:12 AM
Maybe it would be better for U to use another OS - W2K is crappy (and slow). Use linux :thumbs: (or Win9x for that matter - it's more performance-wise)

(Just a thought :smoking: )

Mobocastor
05-13-2002, 08:56 AM
Supp, no chance.

First going back to a lousy DOS based M$ piece of garbage such as 9x is a joke. M$ puts out all garbage I believe. However my Win 2k runs fine for a M$ product and beats the crap out of XPEE. Never tried Linux but perhaps I will someday.

In the meantime Howard needs to get this code fixed for Win2k machines. It's apparent that bugs still are in the code for this platfom. Later.

Brian the Fist
05-13-2002, 02:49 PM
It is not apparent that this is a bug, it sounds like a locking issue still. Please send me the error.log file from a machine which has had this problem and I can tell you more.

IronBits
05-13-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by jpb1
I've started getting this error as well now, on a XP 1700, W2K Pro. This is a dedicated cruncher 24/7. The only other thing running on the machine is VNC. Have restarted 4 times always getting the same error, uninstalled and re-installed twice. Will run about 2 mins then get the same error again.

Hopefully you are not overclocking it... seems this client is a tad sensative to that, IIRC ...

ColinT
05-13-2002, 04:25 PM
"A tad" ???

I have trouble keeping it going on one box in particular. It keeps disappearing. It finally got so bad it would not run for more than 1 second.

I let it be for a couple days and then reinstalled the client from scratch.

It's running now.

This is the second time I needed to do this.

The box is a bone stock XP1700.

pointwood
05-13-2002, 05:55 PM
you need good old stable hardware ;) :p

/me runs client on Celeron 300@450Mhz with an old broken Win2k install that seriously needs a re-install...but client runs without any problems :D

jpb1
05-13-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by IronBits

Hopefully you are not overclocking it... seems this client is a tad sensative to that, IIRC ...

Nope, no overclock on the XP's (yet). (6) XP 1700's all identical hardware, software and only this 1 giving me fits, but runs Prime95 LL Testing just fine. :confused:

Will try to send off an error message to 'Brian' this evening.

jpb1
05-13-2002, 09:54 PM
Just wanted to express my thanks to Howard for the quick reply to my emails and the problem is now solved. Error do to a stick of PC2100 going bad.
I have to say that these guys (Howard and Company) are the best, right on top of everything. :cool:

Brian the Fist
05-13-2002, 10:03 PM
Aw shucks (blush). The error in your error.log IS in the Known Bugs list though :eek:
To all users: please check the known bugs list before reporting bugs
:haddock:

IronBits
05-13-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by jpb1
Just wanted to express my thanks to Howard for the quick reply to my emails and the problem is now solved. Error do to a stick of PC2100 going bad.
I have to say that these guys (Howard and Company) are the best, right on top of everything. :cool:
They are indeed! :D

Wonder if that is Colin's problem to?

Colin, have you tried to swap ram with two boxen?

Paratima
05-13-2002, 11:22 PM
Better than swapping RAM:

Reboot every box you've got (one at a time) and go into CMOS setup.

Find the option for "Quick Boot" or words to that effect.

Turn it OFF. You will live longer, your kids will be good-looking and successful, and happiness and harmony will fill your life. :)

Oh, and let me know if you find the guy who invented the "Quick Boot" option. We need to have a chat.

Mobocastor
05-13-2002, 11:36 PM
How in the world did the overclocking issue get into this post. None of my machines are overclocked. We are talking about something different here peoples. Ta Ta!

pointwood
05-14-2002, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Mobocastor
How in the world did the overclocking issue get into this post. None of my machines are overclocked. We are talking about something different here peoples. Ta Ta! Just suggestions :)

Overclocking can be the cause for wierd errors and crashes. A lot of people overclock their PC's and therefore it is a natural thing to ask when a problem occurs.

Mobocastor
05-14-2002, 03:04 AM
What's the point of overclocking when most people make more of a mess of their machines than if they just left them alone? If people would quit trying to be the fastest and best in the ranks overclocking would be unnecessary. CHEATS! You deserve all the errors your machines dish up. Now if you don't mind I'll get back to slammin' my Miller brew, listening to Motley Crue and folding proteins minus overclocking. Still got about 15 Millers to slam. Later dudes. :cheers:

jpb1
05-14-2002, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Supp
Maybe it would be better for U to use another OS - W2K is crappy (and slow). Use linux :thumbs: (or Win9x for that matter - it's more performance-wise)

(Just a thought :smoking: )

Actually I use a varity of OS's from Linux, BeOS, Solaris to yes even Win. :D