PDA

View Full Version : ? Loosing structures ?

PenDragon
05-13-2002, 04:48 AM
Hi All,

I am currently running DF on a few machines, this morning I managed to get them online (RTFM !!!)

All machines have now uploaded their results but my total showing is around 150,000 structures short.

Anyone have any ideas where they could've gone.

Things I have done to check so far .

1) Checked the handle.txt is correct on all machines
2) Checked that there are not any abandoned *.bz2 files
3) Checked the error.log for any clues
4) I am running the latest version of the client
5) Cursed and sworn and mumbled unspeakables ;)

Does anyone have any ideas or can give me a checklist of things to go through logically. Cos I hate doing work and loosing it, as much for the science as the stats, I could've had a 4.5 in that lot somewhere.....

The total that I was expecting to get was from adding up the 'Building Structure xyy' lines from each of the clients progress.txt Would that be a fair way of knowing what to expect ?

Thanks for reading this far

Cheers

PenDragon :D

wirthi
05-13-2002, 05:01 AM
HI,

just a guess: whenever an upload happens automatically (after 5000 strutures), the number of structures done ('Building Structure xyy' as you mentioned) is not reset to zero.

So you have to take care that you don't double-count your structures ...

Greets,
Wirthi

PenDragon
05-14-2002, 02:44 AM
^BUMP^

?? Someone must have some ideas surely ??

PenDragon
05-15-2002, 03:03 AM
^ Still Bumping ^

Shaktai
05-15-2002, 05:11 AM
I suspect the people who would know are sound asleep right about now.

I have never heard of anyone losing that many structures, so I suspect the flaw might be in your calculations. It is not clear what numbers your are adding up and at what point in the process.

:sleepy: Speaking of sleeping....its time for this yank to hit the sack. :sleepy:

Richard Clyne
05-15-2002, 08:31 AM
PenDragon,

I assume it from your post that you are using the "-df" option in th foldit.bat file.

If this is the case, when uploading the results using the "-u t" option you must include the "-df" option in that command line or anything after the first six file sets will be lost for ever.:(

I have listed the modifications I made to the original foldit.bat file.

foldit_no_network.bat
.\foldtrajlite -f protein -n native -qt -df -i f

foldit_upload.bat
.\foldtrajlite -f protein -n native -df -u t

Hope this helps you out.:)

PenDragon
05-16-2002, 02:29 AM
Hi Guy's

Thanks for your thoughts - here is the details of my calculations so someone can point out my error.

1st machine crunching on '-df -i f' connected by modem.
Had so far amassed 295500 structures on the stats on it's own

There were also 7 other machines crunching '-df -i f' on my network, but without any internet access at all.

According to their progress.txt and their console screens they had crunched.

These 7 machines were then connected to the net and the clients were stopped and restarted just removing the '-i f' from the batch file.
All machines started uploading structures when they were restarted.
By my maths - which is not that bad...
Already submitted - - - - - 295500
Added from 7 machines - -810000

Total on may stats should've read 1,105,500

Total actually read around the 950,000 mark.

???? Any more ideas ????
Where have I mis-counted ?

I am not on a crusade to prove something is wrong with the client, I am sure the prob is on one of my machines at this end, or on a dodgy transfer back to the server on a structure upload. But can 150K units just disappear.

Richard - thanks for your thoughts, but I have not made use of the '-u' option.

Richard Clyne
05-16-2002, 03:41 AM
PenDragon,

Is it possible to upload each PC one at a time, checking after each upload your DF account to see if the total has increased as you expected. Remember to allow a few mins to make sure that all file structures have been credited to your account.

I know you said in a previous post that you had checked all your configuration files, but this is something I would do just to double make sure.

Brian the Fist
05-16-2002, 08:39 AM
You cannot rely on progress.txt to tell you how many structures you made. Do dir *.log.bz2 - this is how many sets of 5000 you have (if the program has been running continuously, because you also get a new one of these every time you stop and restart.
The only other reasonable explanation is one of your machines did not upload so again do dir *.log.bz2 to see if there's still files there.

PenDragon
05-17-2002, 02:23 AM
Thanks for everyone's help

I'll keep a watching eye on it - I do not seem to be dropping any more units. After the weekend I will drop all clients off the network '-i f' and let them build up some finished 5000's and then allow them to upload 1 at a time to make sure they all pull through. It will also give me some times for 5000's structures to average for each CPU to add to the statistics that other people are collecting.

PenDragon :D

Richard Clyne
05-17-2002, 03:50 AM
:D Great to hear.

Nothing worse than loosing structures.