PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Meadmaker
05-13-2002, 09:15 AM
Hi Folks,

I just thought I'd drop by and say "hello" to all you good people.

I'm as yet undecided about whether or not to "switch", but I thought I'd better post something, if only to start my "count" :D

I found you all by following Tom (DATA) and Terminator, and I recognise the lovely angel Moogie from another place, but that's about it for now.

I will be starting DF again hopefully next week, as I've had a major disaster with the upgrade of the MeadeFleet, and I only have one machine working so far.

Anyway, enough waffling - you all have a :cheers: with Meady! :D

Terminator
05-13-2002, 09:33 AM
Meady, me 'old m8 - how you doing ?

Funny seeing you over here :D

Hope your feeling better and the fleet is back up to maximum warp !

Thanks for the :cheers: and have another on me :cheers:

Meadmaker
05-13-2002, 09:41 AM
Very kind of you - don't mind if I do. Cheers! :D

The Fleet is currently one, but a very fast one. I benchtested it using Seti, and it crunched about 9WU/day.

It's now doing G@H, and appears to be crunching about 70 points/day so far, so it'll be interesting to see how it performs on DF when the time comes to switch it over.

As for the rest of the Fleet, they are all in pieces, waiting an influx of £££'s. I had several disasters when trying to upgrade - mainly hardware probs, and it's going to cost an arm and a leg to fix them all.

But when I finally get them going, watch the numbers fly....:D

Terminator
05-13-2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Meadmaker
The Fleet is currently one, but a very fast one. I benchtested it using Seti, and it crunched about 9WU/day.9WU a day :eek: what is it ? a nuclear powerstation - that's averaging 2hr 40mins a WU - What's spec is it ? I bet it would be great at DF !

Meadmaker
05-13-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Terminator
9WU a day :eek: what is it ? a nuclear powerstation - that's averaging 2hr 40mins a WU - What's spec is it ? I bet it would be great at DF !

:D :D :D

It's got a XP1900 CPU, 512Mb RAM, on a FICA Mobo. 133A chipset.
64Mb videoRAM Radion graphics, and running W2000. Nothing else installed on it (yet), so all the resources are devoted to crunching. Task priority set to "high"

On Seti, it crunches a .417 WU in 2hr 51 minutes. :D

IronBits
05-13-2002, 10:21 AM
Welcome Meadmaker!
There are no rules that make it mandantory for anyone to join Free-DC, to be here and participate.
Enjoy your stay and have fun!
Them XP1900 kick butt don't they? :D

Meadmaker
05-13-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by IronBits
Welcome Meadmaker!
There are no rules that make it mandantory for anyone to join Free-DC, to be here and participate.
Enjoy your stay and have fun!
Them XP1900 kick butt don't they? :D

Thank you for the welcome - it's always good to make new friends!

I think the XP1900 (for the price) is one mean piece of kit. I used to be an Intel only chap until I discovered the forums, and realised how much faster/cost AMD's are!

FoBoT
05-13-2002, 10:51 AM
hi

Meadmaker
05-13-2002, 10:58 AM
Hi FoBoT,

If you're really a "fixer of broken things", would you mind hopping across the pond to try and mend the rest of the MeadeFleet?

I have one ship fully functioning (and crunching like you won't believe :D ), but the rest are all in bits....:(

Thanks for the welcome, btw. :D

Richard Clyne
05-13-2002, 11:04 AM
Hi there Meadmaker,

May Itake this oppertunity to welcome you to our little bit of the DC community.

I also could not see past Intel CPUs until I started visitng the DC forums, but I have seen the light and my last two PC's have been built around a T'bird 1400 and XP 1800 CPUs. They certainly hold there own.:)

Hope you get your fleet up and running soon, with a lot less hassle than you have had so far.:)

Meadmaker
05-13-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Richard Clyne
Hi there Meadmaker,

May Itake this oppertunity to welcome you to our little bit of the DC community.

I also could not see past Intel CPUs until I started visitng the DC forums, but I have seen the light and my last two PC's have been built around a T'bird 1400 and XP 1800 CPUs. They certainly hold there own.:)

Hope you get your fleet up and running soon, with a lot less hassle than you have had so far.:)

Thank you for your kind words, Richard. I hope to have the Fleet back in harness soon too.

I see another Scot - are you anywhere near to Tom?

Meady, who would love to move to Scotland if he ever wins the Lottery....

mr_mann
05-13-2002, 11:27 AM
i myself like AMD's but i never had the chance to use them until i got to start working here at the school district.. :D so far every AMD machine we have i have put something on it :D

Moogie
05-13-2002, 01:09 PM
Wecome Meady! Good to see you again. Sorry to hear you are still have the hardware problems. Hope you can get that sorted out soon.

Give the lovely Mrs. Meads a hug for me and hope she is feeling better soon.