PDA

View Full Version : Dual Xeon

Helix_Von_Smelix
11-20-2004, 02:30 PM
I have access to a dual xeon, only 1.8's. Has anyone run two instances? Do you just install to different directorys? I don't want to use HT eventhough it is set up on the server, it only has one gig of RAM.

Have seen the info on setting up a service, so might try that one day.

Cheers.:D

Fozzie
11-20-2004, 03:16 PM
on an HT box it does it all for you.

Any it will get you into FaD too.

Unashamed FaD pimpage I know.

PY 222
11-20-2004, 03:38 PM
I currently have 8 dual Xeons 2.8 HTs running four instances each. You will have to make sure that it has enough memory as I see alot of processes for D2OL when I do ps aux.

So just a heads up.

willy1
11-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Almost all of my crunching is on dual Xeon boxes.

I run a separate instance of D2OL from it's own folder for each logical CPU that I use. So, for a dual Xeon with HT enabled, I have D2OL1, D2OL2, D2OL3 and D2OL4 folders.

I tried running only two instances on one of the duals, not taking advantage of the HT. Each of the instances produced more than those on the boxes using HT, but still less overall from the box. I have returned to running 4 clients on each duallie.

I start the client up using the GUI, set my preferences to turn off animations, and set the buffered work parameter, then close the GUI screen and let 'em rip. I haven't had a client crash or run out of work in almost 2 months. They run completely unattended now. I haven't even wasted time checking on them - if the stats drop, I'll take a look.

These ARE on machines that do not have users logging on to mess about with things. If there were users to contend with, I would probably get excited about doing service installs, and running D2Daddy, to make it invisible or at least barely noticable for the users.

BTW -
:cheers: 4th PLACE! :cheers:

Let's go squish Norwegians now!

Jeff
11-20-2004, 09:59 PM
We have EZ installers here...
http://www.adventurevision.com/ftp/Rodzilla/XSsoft.htm

Just be sure to use one of the "personal installers" so you get credit for your work... unless you'd like to contribute to XS.org's DČOL team. ;)

PY 222
11-20-2004, 10:03 PM
willy1, what are the speeds of your Xeon processors and what is the number of candidates that you have queued on each instance?

I do exactly the same thing as you and I screen each and every instance into their own screen: "screen -S D2OL[number]".

I am guessing that you are using Windows?

willy1
11-20-2004, 11:12 PM
All my duals are Xeon 2.8 w/HT, with either 2GB or 4GB of ram, running under Windows 2000 Adv. Server. They are rack-mount servers, not your garden variety duallie MB. D2OL seems to get out of the way fairly well- I haven't noticed any degradation of response. If I'm expecting a heavier than normal load, I might shut down one client for a couple of days.

Now that I think about it, there have been some new additions recently - I need to see how busy they are ... :crazy:

Helix_Von_Smelix
11-21-2004, 04:20 AM
Thanks Jeff:D Will give these a go next weekend, next time i look at this server. I very nearly joined team XS when i was looking for a team. But ended up here instead, love it here though.

Best of luck with 10th place, maybe 7th by christmas.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: