PDA

View Full Version : I'm noob - HELP ME!

MaGnatu
11-25-2004, 02:52 AM
I want to start sieving but i don't know how. Can anybody explain how can i do to sieve (help for the beginners (stupid beginners))? I have a idle computer (for sieving).
Thanks very much !

Mystwalker
11-25-2004, 05:13 AM
The process of sieving is described here:

http://www.aooq73.dsl.pipex.com/ (under "Regular sieving")

- You need the program "proth_sieve" (which is available as a non cmov, cmov or SSE2 version - for everything above a 486 CPU, cmov is good; For P4 and Athlon64/Opteron CPUs (--> SSE2-capable), you can also try the SSE2 version - although such a machine could be better used for PRPing (--> normal testing) anyways)

- You need the SoB.dat - it contains all numbers that are possibly prime

- both should be in the same directory (there are parameters to cope with this, but normally, there is no need to change this...)

- reserve a range here in the forum - you could just test whether it runs at all in before; if it does work, I'd suggest reserving a range of 10G (which means 10 billion factors will be tried). On a 1 GHz system (P3, Athlon), you do approx. 1G/hour. If you get familiar with the sieve, you are free to reserve bigger ranges, of course...

- start the program - you'll have to enter the lower and upper bound (like 545000 <enter> 545010 <enter>

- let it run

- report the factors (which are collected in fact.txt) to the website mentioned at the site above - you can also report factors in factrange.txt and factexcl.txt; in a range of 10G (at this sieving depth), you only have a chance of ~ 1/3 to find a factor in fact.txt, so don't be disappointed if you don't find any (after all, it takes already several days to PRP such a number...) but instead submit the other factors, so everyone can see you completed that range and statistical data can possibly be derived

- reserve a new range and start over. :)

Nuri
11-25-2004, 07:18 AM
Wellcome MaGnatu.

Please do not hesitate to ask in case you have any problems.

Enjoy..

MaGnatu
11-25-2004, 01:25 PM
ok - i have all programs, and dat. file - all in a single directory. but how can i reserve a range? (i just post a threat at the adress you mentioned with the range?)

Keroberts1
11-25-2004, 01:35 PM
the website will explain where to post reservations and where to submit factors

Mystwalker
11-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by MaGnatu
ok - i have all programs, and dat. file - all in a single directory. but how can i reserve a range? (i just post a threat at the adress you mentioned with the range?)

This one is the right thread: http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3501

The other one is not suitable anymore...

P.S.:
Please don't post threats, but into threads. :D

MaGnatu
11-28-2004, 04:17 AM
all is ok. I discovered a factor and submit it. Where can i found my score or something about my result.

Silverfish
11-28-2004, 07:10 AM
The scores are here:
http://www.aooq73.dsl.pipex.com/scores.htm

You don't appear to be in the scores yet, but they are only updated 3 times a day. The next update is 15:00 (GMT), so hopefully you should be in the stats then.