PDA

View Full Version : Queued WU's

Helix_Von_Smelix
11-28-2004, 11:30 AM
Hey Fozzie, you know all about FaD. I am not sure how to get work queued up. I have one instance running and it is at 55% but no job next in the queue. Have looked through setup but can't see the setting. Most likely looking me in the face:D
Would hate to run out of work:mad:

Can see how to do this manualy, but not to set a buffer of say 3 WU's

:cheers:

magnav0x
11-28-2004, 11:36 AM
As far as I know you need specify when you download. Just remember you can upload whenever you like, so why not just grab about 50 or so WU's when you download, and they just upload every few days or so.

Helix_Von_Smelix
11-28-2004, 11:42 AM
Hmmmmmmm,,,,, will go and have a look. But wanted to see if i could leave these boxes alone for weeks on end (who said borg??:D )

magnav0x
11-28-2004, 11:47 AM
Try setting the Internet Connection plan in the main setup for a few days. I don't remember exactly, bu that may do it. Forgive me, it's been a while since I ran FAD and I don't remember if it could que on it's own, but I believe it can.

Helix_Von_Smelix
11-28-2004, 12:06 PM
:cheers: you have given me some ideas :cheers:

Fozzie
11-28-2004, 12:43 PM
an Internet conn to this box you can

Bring up the queue and click on receive and grab say 3 of each type of WU.

KUX are proteome ones which usually are quite short, RV1 is for Cancer and a re medium and hyv are for HIV and these take longest to complete.

I queue up a few of each and just check every other day to see if there is anything to upload, if you have a conn then this can be set via FADSetup.

Foz

Moogie
11-28-2004, 12:59 PM
What if you are always online? Would it be best to just leave it as is and let it go out and get it's own jobs as it's finished?

Helix_Von_Smelix
11-28-2004, 01:00 PM
all boxes are on a 1meg adsl
worried about not being able to get wu's..........wasted cpu time:swear:
need to play with this a bit more before i put it on borg boxes:D

CaptainMooseInc
11-28-2004, 05:04 PM
Helix, I'm ready to speak your language. Hopefully I can help you out some more.

If the boxes are setup to be CONSTANTLY connected to the Internet, setup the connection to be After selecting jobs. That will send a WU and receive a new one every time you finish a WU.

If you want to keep a box happy for a long time, switch the view of the server to WINDOW temporarily. This will bring up the server program. Click the RECEIVE button. You will be able to pick which target queue you would like to download from (little drop down box). Select the target queue, then enter the amount of WUs you'd like to download for that time. This will only download that many WUs that ONE TIME. Also, make sure that you change your internet connection plan to MANUAL if you do this, otherwise when your computer submits WUs, any "old" WUs will be automatically deleted out of the queue if left un-crunched.

Hope I helped!
-Jeff

Helix_Von_Smelix
11-28-2004, 05:23 PM
Thanks people :drums:

leaving one box running FaD for now. will switch maybe two more when we pass Team Norway in D2ol. Does this run better on AMD or Intel??
I have the choice of amd 3200+ or P4 2.5, which do you think. Not putting anything on the Dual Xeon until i have looked after it for a bit longer,,,,, don't want the old IT company to wander in and see anything untoward:D :D :D

AND does it update/upgrade quietly?????? you know why i am asking that:Pokes: :D

CaptainMooseInc
11-28-2004, 06:43 PM
You can check the "BETA" box under projects if you'd like it to update automatically to the next beta version (which usually goes gold) if you'd like it to update. Otherwise it will auto-update to the next gold version (w/o using a beta version) once it is released. It does this (in Windows) by bringing up a tab on the windows bar at the bottom of the screen. You really never see it working.

-Jeff

jasong
11-29-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Helix_Von_Smelix
Does this run better on AMD or Intel??
It runs better on AMD, not sure how MUCH better.

AND does it update/upgrade quietly?????? you know why i am asking that:Pokes: :D
There have been some problems, but generally it's a VERY robust client.

Btw, there's nothing wrong with letting the server purge jobs, this cuts down the frequency of jobs being crunched more than once. If it's purged, it's been done by someone else.