PDA

View Full Version : Laptops and DC

CSMan
12-11-2004, 01:31 PM
Hi guys,
I just got a Compaq X1000 with a P-M 1.7Ghz CPU. I was wondering if it is a good or bad idea to run a DC program on it.

Really the only thing I'm concerned about is the CPU fan dieing. I looked around online and it looks like it would be about $100 to buy a new fan myself if it died. Although I do have a 2 year warranty.

I installed motherboard monitor, but I can't get any reading on the cpu fan rpm or the cpu temperature.

Any thoughts?

Fozzie
12-11-2004, 04:04 PM
DF, Lifemapper and FaD on an IBM T22 and it's been fine.

I suspect the Centrino will run hotter but IMO you should be fine.

PS2pcGAMER
12-11-2004, 06:24 PM
I have a 1.7 ghz dothan myself. I run FAD on it and haven't had any problems. I don't run the laptop 24/7, but whenever it is on, FAD is running in the background. Since Centrino laptops run so much cooler, I am not too worried about heat. If it were a P4 or A64 then maybe I'd be more concerned, but I think you'd be ok.

pfb
12-11-2004, 06:35 PM
I've had DF, F@H and now FaD running 24/7 on a AMD64 3200+ lappy since the start of this year...gets warm but runs fine...

you'll find most 3rd party monitoring apps don't work on lappys due to the specific motherboards used - MBM, Sandra and Speedfan don't report anything on my lappy...

IronBits
12-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by pfb
I've had DF, F@H and now FaD running 24/7 on a AMD64 3200+ lappy since the start of this year...gets warm but runs fine...

you'll find most 3rd party monitoring apps don't work on lappys due to the specific motherboards used - MBM, Sandra and Speedfan don't report anything on my lappy... Ditto! :cool:

Chinasaur
12-11-2004, 08:43 PM
I bought A "cheap ass" chinese Celery 2.4Ghz till my household goods arrive....tried to run SOB on it..the fan is on 100% of the time and it gets M F H O T!! :( I haven't tried an egg test but it is painfully hot to the touch after an hour of running.

I imagine the better brands deal with heat better than cheap ones.... maybe I could make burgers with it....

CSMan
12-13-2004, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the replies... maybe I'll just have to try it and see how it goes.
Hopefully nothing bad happens.

alpha
12-14-2004, 04:47 AM
I have an old Compaq Armada 6500 which has a P2 366 processor. I cannot even crunch OGR on this thing, it gets too hot to touch.

( :|ot|: ) Actually, the motherboard battery seems to have gone (having trouble powering up, and BIOS settings are lost at each power-off), is it an easy job to replace? Is it a standard motherboard battery? I have some taken from dead desktop motherboards, so if I can replace with one of those, that would be great.