View Full Version : this is working now

FoBoT
12-15-2004, 07:15 PM
i get work and credit on a regular basis

so other than them turning off classic SETI , i think they have this going ok

i gotta find the team stats and see where i am

Insidious
12-20-2004, 12:22 PM
I happened to be in the neighborhood (had to flame a particular thread... it's worth ignoring) and when I saw your name, I thought I should stop by and say "hey"

Hope all is well with you Fobot! Happy Holidays

-Sid

(DF)

FoBoT
12-20-2004, 02:55 PM
hello! :drums:

merry winter celebration days to you too! :D

BrianM
02-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Hi all! Anyone else currently running seti? Seems like interest is low on this project.

tim
02-17-2005, 03:31 PM
Yes, interest does seem low. Shiny new projects have called away from the grandaddy DC project. I still like it though, in its "classic" form, non-boinc.

IronBits
02-17-2005, 04:04 PM
I also re-actived the old seti stats system I had running...
not perfect, but works :)

http://dbestern.com/cgi-bin/seti/setistats.cgi

ECL
02-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Isn't it futile to continue crunching with the old client, given that the date of the forced switch to Boinc is approaching? You can't take your points over to Boinc, and I believe I read on the Berkeley forum (from one of the official Berkeley guys, not the sad tinfoil-hat guys) that the plan is to reprocess all the old data with the Boinc client so they can be sure of a common baseline.

I fully understand the resistance to Boinc. I have yet to read a post anywhere saying "I think Boinc is a well-thought out and brilliantly implemented system." Generally, what I see is evenly divided between the I-don't-understand-why-Boinc-does-this and Boinc-ate-my-dog parties.

tim
02-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Thanks IB for the nice stats. I enjoy them. ;)

to ECL: yes, cruching data over again does seem somewhat futile in terms of finding little green men, but it does have a valid scientific use, as you said, in setting a baseline for reliable future results. For me by now, I'm in it for the stats mostly. I'm 120 places away from the top 1000 crunchers, and I'm hoping to make it in before they shut off classic.

Also I'm enjoying keeping everything up. Kinda like being a mini network admin. I knew nothing about linux before seti, now I know enough to ruin stuff as root <doh>. I've learned so much so far.

But I don't know about going to boinc after. When they shut classic down, I'll have to figure out what project to do, and how much time I can commit to retooling for a new client. Cross that bridge when I come to it.