PDA

View Full Version : Call to all sievers --> Collecting factrange.txt

vjs
12-18-2004, 05:45 PM
Dear SOB Siever,

Send us your factrange.txt by e-mail to "factrange@yahoo.com"

Joe_O and Myself have setup a yahoo mail account for collecting factors outside the seventeenorbust active sieve window. These are the factors contained in your factrange.txt file created while sieving for seventeenorbust. We as well as the project co-ordinators know that collecting factors in this range is probably a waste of time and definetly space. However in this endevor we will on a monthly basis compare all of these >20m factors against a database of n>20m k/n pairs which seventeenorbust may at one point test

We would ask that you e-mail your factrange.txt file to factrange@yahoo.com as opposed to deleting it. Please do not e-mail one factor at a time, at least 1 months worth of sieving into factrange would be prefered.

Many of the factors contained in factrange would normally be removed within the first few T of sieving a larger dat file, etc and therefore useless. But some will be unique and we will sort and collect them in the interest of the project.

Please note that no credit for indiviual factors will be given for these results nor will your name be added to the hall of fame, however it will be added to a list of contributors.

Thankyou for your time and efforts...

After a few weeks of collecting we will let you know what happens, and of course make these factors availble to anyone who wishes when the time comes.

Please send them in any fashion you see fit, prefered, txt or zip, attach your username and sieve range if possible in the subject heading.

mail them to...

factrange@yahoo.com

P.S. We are hoping that some sievers may have never deleted their factrange.txt files, they get pretty large after a while... these are the ones we are mostly interested in but every little bit helps.

Please use the word factrange somewhere in the subject line

xoan
02-28-2005, 03:26 AM
Do you mind that we send you concatenated versions of factrange.txt and factexcl.txt (send also?) with the factors not in numerical order?? I have 3 instances running and would think that three separate files might annoy you unless order within the file is important.

Thanks in advance.

Joe O
02-28-2005, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by xoan
Do you mind that we send you concatenated versions of factrange.txt and factexcl.txt (send also?) with the factors not in numerical order?? I have 3 instances running and would think that three separate files might annoy you unless order within the file is important.

Thanks in advance.
You're welcome and thank you!
The order within the file is not important. It helps if you zip, or bz2, or gz, or otherwise compress the files. We even speak rar, and arc.
7-Zip is a very good, free, program. The latest version is obtainable here (http://www.7-zip.org/) .

We welcome factexcl.txt files as well as the factrange.txt files. I am looking at factor distributions, and the duplicate factors in the factexcl files are helping in that. The factrange.txt files are the most important though and help the most.

xoan
02-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I will send you the files I have as soon as I finish the range I have reserved (which will be in a few days since I added a dual Athlon MP 2600+ since I gave my ETA) and hopefully I can help whatever I can in this project.

BTW, just an etiquette question for you. What is an acceptable time frame for reservation? Most people seem to reserve from 1 to 2 months in advance but according to my calculations, that would be a range of 5T (6 weeks or so of work) and I don't see to many people reserving something that large.

So should I reserve the 1T sections most people are reserving now or can I commit to, for example, 3T-5T blocks? I use SoBistrator, so U factors are submitted as they're arrived at. As a newbie here, I want to be a "good citizen" in this community and give as much help as I can but only in a conscientious manner.

Thanks in advance.

Mystwalker
02-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Reserving 5 or 10T ranges is ok - it's just the case that only few users have the required computing power to complete such a large range in reasonable time.

If you have it, reserving large ranges reduces administration effort.

Nuri
02-28-2005, 04:05 PM
Hmm... competition is getting tougher every day.. :fight:

:D

vjs
02-28-2005, 04:52 PM
Xoan,

When I had all of my firepower in maineffort sieve I use to reserve 10T a go a little bit ahead of the main effort.

For example

875000-880000 Maniacken [complete]
899500-XXX

There is a hole between these two ranges,

880000-899500 (alomst 20T)

Reserving this would actually be appreciated if your planning to stick with the effort for a few months. Mike only has to update your range "manually" on his page twice same goes for the forum.

Basically as long as you don't create holes for no good reason your doing fine.

Stromkarl
02-28-2005, 11:16 PM
I just sent the factrange.txt for 678000-678500 to your email address listed. This range is done now.

I just added 850+ kp/s to my 250 kp/s, now I am approx 1100 kp/s!! :D
So, I just reserved a 3T range. it seems to take approx 45 days at the current rate.
At Home, I reserved a 1T range, and this seems to take approx 45 days also.

Stromkarl

xoan
03-01-2005, 04:51 AM
While I'd like to do you all the favor of clearing such a large hole, I ain't too comfortable, quite yet (baby steps, you know), to reserve that whole range. I think 5T blocks are cool for me. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

vjs
03-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Just a suggestion,

Keep up the good work regardless and nice speed. Check out mikes pages for stats if you havn't done so already. Sieve gets really addictive.

xoan
03-03-2005, 10:30 AM
I am one step ahead of you.... I am a stats junkie in all the projects I work in, remembering that the "greater good" of the project itself is the most important.

But I will admit the stats add that little extra motivation to stay on.... :D

Speaking of which, I guess I got lucky on one of my first factors getting an in-range one..... not a one since.

Joe O
04-08-2005, 11:39 AM
For those of you who have submitted your factrange.txt files, thank you. I thought you would like to see a graphic representation of your efforts.

vjs
04-08-2005, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the update Joe, users are also encouraged to check out the high-n sieve thread for additional information about the factrange submissions.

Well done guys and gals we can really see the difference your submissions are making, they are more than a drop in a bucket for sure.