PDA

View Full Version : Running on linux

PCZ
12-23-2004, 04:13 PM
Previously I have run my linux clients by attaching to a windows BOX running the
FAD server.
The FAD directory was shared using NFS and it worked well.
Since version 1.25g it isnt working for me the linux clients keep stopping.

If I am to use my linux nodes it will be necessary to set up the linux FAD server.
Has anybody done this ?
None of my linux boxes have X is that going to be a problem ?

PY 222
12-23-2004, 04:34 PM
I run almost all my FaD clients on Linux and no problem so far. None of my nodes have X on them.

Just go ahead and download the tarball, untar it to a folder of your choice and type in the information by hand:

./fadsetup -nickname "your nick" -email "your email" -team "2020" -copies "how many copies of think" -connect "When Online" -country "your country"

To see if you have made everything correctly, you can do this:

./fadsetup -list

PCZ
12-23-2004, 04:59 PM
PY 222

I just ran fadsetup on one of my boxes.

./fadsetup -nickname xxx -email xxx -team 2020
It errored a couple of times with some cgi problem but eventually worked.
I have exported the FAD directory and mounted it on my PXE clients.
They appear to be connecting and starting up.

Seems to be a bit lacking in the info department ./server -list
isnt quite the same as looking at the windows server.

Only 1 client is starting up on my dual boxes, trying to run a second copy of think errors any thoughts.

EDIT

forgot to add -copies in fadsetup OOPS :blush:

PY 222
12-23-2004, 05:10 PM
I too have been getting those pesky cgi problems when activating new servers. But once its setup, everything should be ok.

The ./server -list needs a bit of time to get populated with data but once it gets going, you should be able to see what you are crunching.

Don't forget to do -connect "When Online" so your client will dump once each candidate is done. Default is 12 hours.

Bok
12-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I'm getting the cgi errors too. Takes 2 or 3 attempts then it's ok.

Bok :D

PCZ
12-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Think i got the fadsetup sorted

./fadsetup -nickname PCZ[Free-DC] -email spam@somewhere.com -team 2020 -copies 2 -connect "When online" -country "United Kingdom"

I got a bit worried when I saw the cgi errors but if its 'normal' then I will stop worrying about it.

EDIT
PXE nodes have all got jobs from the server and some are finished and sent in already. :D