PDA

View Full Version : Re-partition w/o formatting

CaptainMooseInc
12-23-2004, 07:01 PM
Alright guys, I've got a bit of a problem here.

My cousin setup a computer awhile back for my family before we moved out. He's a bigger nerd than almost anyone when it comes to computers. Unfortunately he setup this system to be the "perfect computer"....so long as you know what you're doing. 7 out of the 8 of us using the computer....DON'T

The computer is running 2 40gb HDDs in it. Windows 2000 w/ Latest SP

The first drive is formatted in two partitions, 1 10GB (C:) and 1 30GB (E:). The other drive is all 40GBs (D:).

Anywayz, the first 10GB partition contains the OS and was supposed to be -only- for the OS and virtual memory. The D: and E: drives were supposed to be for program installations and personal data saving. Unfortunately, thanks to the "My Documents" and standard installion to C: drives for most programs, the 10GB has only 38% memory left. I could trudge through all of the personal documents on the 8 usernames for the computer and move everything to the D: drive...but that takes too much effort, plus most of the used space is from installing countless programs to the C: drive.

As you have probably guessed after my long-winded explanation of my hard drives' condition, I need some BIG HELP...

Can I allocate the 30GBs of E: drive (basically "erase" that partition) to the C: drive and make Windows recognize it as 1 drive again?

The computer has 512MBs of Kingston PC 2700 DDR, so I don't think the RAM is slowing the system down. The computer is running at 99% System Idle Process most of the time and the computer is spyware free w/o a bunch of background programs. Normal Disk Defragging has been run along with third party disk cleanup programs.

Any software utilities for general computer maintenance you can suggest would be great. I can torrent any programs you suggest if need be so don't worry about suggesting retail programs.

The big thing again though is....

:bonk: I NEEEEEEEDDDDD TO MAKE MY TWO DRIVES WHOLE AGAIN! :bonk:

PCZ
12-23-2004, 07:09 PM
CaptainMooseInc

Move everything you want to keep from the E drive, to the D drive.
Remove the E partition.
Get hold of a copy of partionmagic.

You will need to make a boot disc and load partiomagic from DOS.
There is no way you can extend the C parition whilst in Windows.

CaptainMooseInc
12-23-2004, 07:43 PM
Remove the E partition? So....go into control panel and remove the E: partition via that?

PartitionMagic = Norton's? I believe that's the only partition magic I've heard of.

There's only like 5GBs of info on the E: drive so hopefully it won't take long!

Thanks PCZ, I won't be able to actually perform the operation for a little while but I'll post an update once the operation it complete!

-Jeff

GHOST
12-23-2004, 07:44 PM
my partition magic let me order a c drive extend in the gui. but i did not go thru with it as i do not need it.

Dyyryath
12-23-2004, 09:02 PM
CaptainMooseInc: YGPM

MerePeer
12-23-2004, 10:25 PM
Here's a free tool that might do the job -- not sure since I've only used it to shrink partitions, not consolidate them.

http://www.sysresccd.org/

Helix_Von_Smelix
12-24-2004, 02:17 AM
take the swap file off C: that will give you some more space. Put it on D: and set it to 756Mb