PDA

View Full Version : Aaarghh! RedHat 7.3

Brian the Fist
05-16-2002, 06:30 PM
Well, as some of you know the client doesn't work on RedHat 7.3. I suspect this is because the Intel compiler does not work properly with the new glibc. When I build it with gcc on a RedHat 7.3 machine it works fine.

I do NOT want to have 3 intel linux versions of the software, so the way I see it there's only a few choices:

1) forget 7.3
2) forget 6.2 and replace it with a 7.3 gcc build
3) forget Intel and replace the 7.1 icc build with a 7.1 gcc build which will probably work fine.

Looking at FTP logs, about 30% of linux users are using the 6.2 version and 70% the icc version.
Any comments? There's always the possiblity Intel will 'fix' their compiler to work with the new glibc in the near future of course.

IronBits
05-16-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Brian the Fist
There's always the possiblity Intel will 'fix' their compiler to work with the new glibc in the near future of course.

I'll start holding my breath then. :help: :D

Paratima
05-16-2002, 10:30 PM
Wow, tough call! My vote would be (2) replace the gcc 6.2 with a 7.3 gcc. There's a lot of us, as you noticed, running the icc build, 'cause it runs ever so slightly quicker. ;)

To do this, you'll want to post a warning on the icc build, else newbies will get non-working systems and rightly complain. But hey, you da boss, Boss.

Meanwhile, IronBits & I will practice turning blue. :D

Paratima
05-16-2002, 10:34 PM
PS. If you want to be democratic about it, IB can show ya how to set up a poll. ...assuming you don't already know, of course, of course.

Jodie
05-16-2002, 11:17 PM
Wait - the intel compiler generates slightly more speed-optimized results!?!?! GREEAAAT. Now I have to go reinstall 70 machines. [pout] :( :haddock: :cry: :haddock:

Paratima
05-16-2002, 11:29 PM
Test it on your setup, first. But I think you'll like it.

Your milage may vary. Offer limited in some areas. Void where prohibited. ;)

Jodie
05-16-2002, 11:33 PM
Do not take internally. Don't start this or any similar exercise program without consulting a physician. May cause irritation. Contents under pressure. Contents hot. Contents extremely sharp.

WARNING!!! DO NOT TAUNT HAPPY FUN BALL!!!

:spank:

:p

Paratima
05-16-2002, 11:36 PM
LOL :jester: You got it!

xman
05-17-2002, 12:30 AM
Is it possible to place a link in this forum to the gcc compiled in RedHat 7.3, for us who using RedHat 7.3 temporary (not linked in the website) ? If you find the download count is high, you could think of placing it in the website too.

Chinasaur
05-17-2002, 10:49 PM
WARNING!!! DO NOT TAUNT HAPPY FUN BALL!!!

ahaha..I hard forgotten about Super Happy Fun Ball..

WARNING!!!! Do not stare at Super Happy Fun Ball!!

:jester:

Jodie
05-17-2002, 10:53 PM
Happy FUN BALL!
-only $14.95-

Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Happy Fun Ball.
Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
Happy Fun Ball Contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture, should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.
Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.

Discontinue use of Happy Fun Ball if any of the following occurs:
Itching
Vertigo
Dizziness
Tingling in extremities
Loss of balance or coordination
Slurred speech
Temporary blindness
Profuse sweating
Heart palpitations

If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types of skin.

When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be returned to its special container and kept under refrigeration...

Failure to do so relieves the makers of Happy Fun Ball, Wacky Products Incorporated, and its parent company Global Chemical Unlimited, of any and all liability.

Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an unknown glowing substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.

Happy Fun Ball has been shipped to our troops in Saudi Arabia and is also being dropped by our warplanes on Iraq.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Happy Fun Ball comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Happy Fun Ball

ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES!

xman
05-22-2002, 06:59 AM
Think another version for RedHat 7.3 is not needed anymore. I tried the new 16 May version, and it works fine in my machine.

natbyte
06-01-2002, 05:48 PM
Hi,

It certainly does not work for me on redhat 7.3 any chance of recompiling a 7.3 version as I need it for nearly 15 boxes and at the moment Im not doing any real crunching, they were sitting with the old client...

Cheers

Nath.

Paratima
06-01-2002, 05:57 PM
Try both Linux versions. I'll bet one or the other will work for you... :)