PDA

View Full Version : Update from Sebastian

IronBits
01-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Dear ZetaGrid Community members.

With achieving our last fourth target (1 trillion verified zeros of the Riemann zeta function) at the end of last year, I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for all you have done to move ZetaGrid forward in the last 3 years.

ZetaGrid started with a small initiative and the first work unit at 3:36pm August 28, 2001 in the Development Lab Boeblingen, Germany. Continuously, this initiative grows up in a worldwide community with the accessibility through the Internet on August 26, 2002. And now this community has about 5,000 members. During this time I have received various significant contributions, e.g. improvements of the software, redesign recommendations, test cases, extensions, documentation, useful hints, and assistance.

Now ZetaGrid can deliver:
1. a robust, scalable and dependable Grid platform for CPU intensive problems 2. a major milestone in the Computational Number Theory
and the Riemann Hypothesis

One major focus was always that the ZetaGrid software package is free. And I know that many of you were unhappy that the downloads of the software package were moved to IBM alphaWorks last year. But this step was important.

At the end of last year, many of you have seen the announcement of reaching a 10 times higher verification (10 trillion zeros) from Gourdon and Demichel than our computational effort. But a world record is always just something for the history. My main objective of this research project was the collection of accurate data about the distribution of the zeros. Now I have reached 20 TB of data and numerous heuristics concerning the Riemann Hypothesis that will be published and hopefully proven soon.

Up to now many of you have asked me about the next step for our community. And I am happy to see this huge interest in complex and fundamental mathematical research in our strong community! This task is definitly completed (but will still run for a while) and I also spent effort to understand the implementation of the faster algorithm of Gourdon and Demichel. But the implementation of this faster computation is not accurate enough for my research concerns. I see the opportunity to extend our computational task to the Extended Riemann Hypothesis. But I suggest to discuss this topic in our community forum.

So, please accept my sincere thanks for everything you have done and my best wishes to you.

Sebastian