PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP

Helix_Von_Smelix
02-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Hi people,

Does any one know how many cpu's XP pro can use. could it run all 4 on a quad system??

going to spend some dosh in the summer on a new dual or quad, and as i cant get along with linux, i will stick with microsoft.

:cheers:

PCZ
02-02-2005, 04:00 PM
Helix_Von_Smelix

XP pro can use 2 physical CPU's or 4 virtual CPU's.
So if you had a dual Xeon with HT you are OK with XP pro.

If you try to use it on a quad box without HT only 2 CPU's would be used or 4 virtual CPU's if HT was turned on.

Chinasaur
02-02-2005, 08:35 PM
This is kind of on topic..kind of not..XP and CPU related tho.

At work, we are getting Dell 3Ghz HT machines.

Top (Task Manager) shows the cpu usage history for both CPU's. One CPU is always pegged higher than the other...never the same one. Usually one is at 75% and the other at 25%.

The weird thing..is that the left vertical graph displays both CPU's at same usage..but the value is an avg of the history graph. So with the above scenario..the vertical graph and text says 50%.

Soooo..WTF and "what fresh hell is this?" Was Redmond just too lazy to make both graphs accurate or what?

Helix_Von_Smelix
02-17-2005, 03:23 PM
okay,,,, i am trying Mandrake 10.1

i can get to mandrake websites, but if i try any others it says they can,t be found. driving me a bit mad!!!

so, where do i need to look?? and what do i need to change. am a total newbe to this so be kind:D

have looked in configure your computer and security settings. once i have done that, need to install some DC,,,,, long nights ahead me thinks:cheers:

and sorry i didn't reply to the above posts, i must have switched off the email alerts.

Oppps:confused:

Longbow
02-17-2005, 05:15 PM
Helix,

I am pretty much a newb to linux, but have been determined to get used to using it. Have tried many distros and have personally found Mepis to be the easiest to really get going on. The combination of KDE and .deb package management is pure bliss.

My first try was with Suse. Wish I had done more researh in package management before I got started. Learned all about what people called RPM hell and never want anything to do with it.

Next I toyed with the Live CD Knoppix. Liked it alot but couldn't manage to pull off a hard disk install.

Next up was Ubuntu which has been garnering lots of attention lately and high marks in most reviews. Personally I couldn't get used to the Gnome GUI and decided to try one more distro before giving up and going back to the comfort of windows. Luckily this was when I gave Mepis a shot and fell head over heels in love with it.