PDA

View Full Version : Eon @ Utexas

omer
02-05-2005, 04:55 PM
Its up and running! (http://eon.cm.utexas.edu) I am the one working on server/client coding, Windows screensaver and the new website (still under construction).

Our next goal is to have a GUI running for windows. Let me know about your comments and suggestions. Thanks for all the support and feedback we got already!

Omer

P.S What is the process to get moderator access here?

IronBits
02-05-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by omer
Its up and running! (http://eon.cm.utexas.edu) I am the one working on server/client coding, Windows screensaver and the new website (still under construction).

Omer

P.S What is the process to get moderator access here? Welcome! Nice work getting everything moved over so quickly. :thumbs:

You have been knighted to Moderator :notworthy Status :D

Let me know if you need anything else ;)

em99010pepe
02-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Welcome omer!

Carlos

vaughan
02-06-2005, 03:33 AM
Welcome omer!

What is the situation regarding correction of dual usernames in the stats list?

Have you had a chance to get the Teams stats working yet?

What changes to the application did you make to improve the Windows version's speed?

IronBits
02-06-2005, 07:02 AM
For stats, go here
http://stats.free-dc.org/new/projpage.php?proj=eon
Because the raw stats format had to be changed, Bok had to reset his stats,
but they appear to be working well now :)

omer
02-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Thanks for all the wecome guys :)

IronBits: We are planning to have detailed stats on our site as well, it should be ready soon. And thanks for the moderator status!

Carlos: Thanks for all the help and feedback!

Vaughan: For correction of dual usernames, you need to contact Alok, I will talk to him myself as well. Just send him an email at alokvaid@mail.utexas.edu. The team stats and other detailed stats should be up in a while, Ravi and Alok are working on that. I dont know how bad was the windows speed before, so I cant really tell the differences. The speedup may be a result of many things, I changed the authentication process, the Fida package was also updated, a few minor tweaks were done in client, the new COSM library is being used now and I am distributing the release version as opposed to the debug version which must have considerably increased speed. We are planning to go a step ahead by building it with new fortran which seems to be the bottle neck right now.

Ok I guess, thats it for now. Later then.

vaughan
02-07-2005, 05:45 AM
Thanks omer, email sent to Alok.

Using Windows XP Home SP2 with an Athlon XP2800 and an XP2100 I'm averaging just over 2 minutes a task. Using the old application it was over 10 minutes so whatever you did THANKS.

IronBits
02-07-2005, 10:53 AM
IronBits: We are planning to have detailed stats on our site as well, it should be ready soon. w00t! More stats! :elephant:

em99010pepe
02-07-2005, 11:43 AM
omer,

I have a problem.
I think one of my machines is running for the anonymous.:bang:
If I give you the IP of that machine could you check for me what's going on?

Thanks in advance,

Carlos

omer
02-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Yea Carlos,

I looked it up, I think I tracked your client, let me know the IP or just email it to Alok, alokvaid@mail.utexas.edu, he will replace it for you. Make sure you give a proof (i dont know how) that it IS your IP. Send me a CC as well, I will make sure it gets changed.

Vaughan: Its my job! :) thanks for the appreciation!

em99010pepe
02-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Yea Carlos,

I looked it up, I think I tracked your client, let me know the IP or just email it to Alok, alokvaid@mail.utexas.edu, he will replace it for you. Make sure you give a proof (i dont know how) that it IS your IP. Send me a CC as well, I will make sure it gets changed.

The computer is not mine but it is from a friend.
What is a CC?
Anyway, I will send you a private message.

Thank you,

Carlos

omer
02-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Carbon Copy

willy1
02-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Do you have an option to run the EON client using 'standard' TCP/IP ports, like 80 or 23?

Using the oddball ports eliminates those of us behind less than accomodating firewall setups.

Thanks

em99010pepe
02-08-2005, 05:30 AM
Is the server down?

Carlos

black_civic55
02-08-2005, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by em99010pepe
Is the server down?

Carlos

i think so, im getting that failed and retrying message

em99010pepe
02-08-2005, 07:39 AM
It's been like that for the last three hours.
The good news is that I have a second DC project running so I lost work on eOn but gained on RC-72.:D

Thanks,

Carlos

omer
02-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Its working at my end.

About firewall, we still have to work on that and directing all traffic to 80 or 23 is not a very good idea!

willy1
02-08-2005, 12:43 PM
I think that most of the projects that are accessable from behind firewalls and/or proxies use dedicated servers for sending and receiving work tasks and results, so the port usage is not much of an issue. The convenience ans simplicity of being able to communicate on a usually open port would seem to outweigh other issues. It also dosn't require complicated programming to accomodate proxy ids and passwords.

FoBoT
02-08-2005, 09:21 PM
hi

:drums:

omer
02-09-2005, 12:35 AM
From the other thread:

Static Linux client

Finally there is a static Linux client on the eon website. The client binary works with a static version of the al110c library on all systems tested, including Redhat 7, 9, Fedora core 1-3, x86_64 Opteron, and Bok's Gentoo box (thanks Bok). I would be interested to hear it if works on Mandrake, Debian and any other distribution out there. The library, which automatically downloads from the server, is not nessecarily compatible with other client binaries, so a new client will have to be downloaded to test this properly.

Getting this working was a major headache. There are many incompatiblities between versions of the linux libraries. The only version I could get to work was a pre 3.3 version of glibc. It is almost perfect, except for a bug in a name resolution function. I am very appreciative to someone working on the SOB project for pointing this out on bugzilla. For any current linux distribution, with glibc 3.3.x or 3.4.x, the IP address of the server must be in the form 146.6.143.207, not eon.cm.utexas.edu. The client binary, and the setuser.pl script will write this by default now. If the IP is not numeric, the client will segfault.