PDA

View Full Version : static Linux client

graeme
02-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Finally there is a static Linux client on the eon website. The client binary works with a static version of the al110c library on all systems tested, including Redhat 7, 9, Fedora core 1-3, x86_64 Opteron, and Bok's Gentoo box (thanks Bok). I would be interested to hear it if works on Mandrake, Debian and any other distribution out there. The library, which automatically downloads from the server, is not nessecarily compatible with other client binaries, so a new client will have to be downloaded to test this properly.

Getting this working was a major headache. There are many incompatiblities between versions of the linux libraries. The only version I could get to work was a pre 3.3 version of glibc. It is almost perfect, except for a bug in a name resolution function. I am very appreciative to someone working on the SOB project for pointing this out on bugzilla. For any current linux distribution, with glibc 3.3.x or 3.4.x, the IP address of the server must be in the form 146.6.143.207, not eon.cm.utexas.edu. The client binary, and the setuser.pl script will write this by default now. If the IP is not numeric, the client will segfault.