PDA

View Full Version : Windows Client GUI

omer
02-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Suggestions/Features?

- Minimize to tray

What else?

Would a scheduler type of thing be desirable, something like, run from 0000 to 0900 every week, or not? or maybe later?
Any other ideas?

What about windows screensaver, if you want to suggest any changes, please feel free to do so!

magnav0x
02-10-2005, 10:58 PM
I'd say good options would be to minimize to the system tray and possibly even hide the icon completely (maybe a hotkey to make the icon in the system tray visible again). Honestly I'd never use the GUI unless I had a way to hide it completely. A scheduler may be nice for those who run them on family/friends or work computers, that way it works only at night when they wouldn't be using the system.

I know you have a screen saver already, but what about a GUI version that will kick in after X minutes of inactivity and turn itself back off when the user is active once again.

IronBits
02-10-2005, 11:02 PM
Look at the holy grail of clients, DNET :notworthy

omer
02-11-2005, 02:50 AM
What is DNET? Please let me know the website to download client, or if you can send it to me? I want to have a look. Thanks!

alpha
02-11-2005, 05:38 AM
http://www.distributed.net

The client simply rocks on all platforms I've tried it on.

IronBits
02-11-2005, 07:05 AM
Source code will be found on this page ;)
http://www.distributed.net/source/
/me hopes you can do it! :D

black_civic55
02-11-2005, 09:22 AM
i kinda like that dnet client too. never got an email from them though after entering my email address as the username.

i like fun graphics though too. Sumin to gaze at when really bored......:sleepy:

em99010pepe
02-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by IronBits
Look at the holy grail of clients, DNET :notworthy

You said everything.
So far it is the first DC project that runs in hidden mode under WinME!
(Please don't tell my father that his computer is running Dnet)

Carlos

omer
02-11-2005, 01:08 PM
is this the GUI we all are talking about? (see attached picture)

magnav0x
02-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Yes omer, that would be the one :thumbs:

ECL
02-11-2005, 04:38 PM
The dnet console view is just one step above running in a DOS box. Ugly and lazy. Why not do a real GUI? We're stats-fiends around here and we want to know if the client is actually doing something...

Edit:
Tried and failed to attach a picture of a mockup GUI. So imagine, if you will, a small window showing the number of results you've sent in, your ranking on the project, a progress bar showing how far through the current wu your client is, the average time since the client started, etc.

nickbrownsfan
02-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Sorry to drop in here but I agree with ECL on this one. Yeah Dnet does work but almost all projects end up with a helper program to show that type of stuff Dspy/setidriver/foldmonitor etc. why not have it included in a GUI that way someone wont have to come up with one. Of course my only concern would be that it doesnt slow down the client. :)

PCZ
02-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Helper programs as you call them monitor multiple machines.

I would rather the EON client was plain like it is now but a good monitoring app be written so I could keep tabs on my nodes from one console.

BTW
nickbrownsfan

This is the official EON project forum not the Free-DC EON team forum so don't
apologise for posting here.

willy1
02-11-2005, 06:40 PM
DNET is simply the easiest, safest, most versatile DC client available.
You can install easily as a service, or run the GUI, see the actual realtime crunching rate in the GUI 'VIEW' menu option, as well as your buffer-in and buffer-out status, and run the configuration from the GUI.
It runs a wild assortment of platforms and OS', gets out of the way of real work when needed. I can't think of anything it doesn't do well.

My only gripe with DNET is that the stats only update once a day. :bang:

magnav0x
02-11-2005, 06:47 PM
If people just want a "monitoring app" for EON, which I would like to see as well, then all EON needs to do is output specific data to a log file as it runs and 3rd party apps will come along.

alpha
02-12-2005, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by ECL
The dnet console view is just one step above running in a DOS box. Ugly and lazy. Why not do a real GUI? We're stats-fiends around here and we want to know if the client is actually doing something...

The client always shows that it is doing something unless you configure it otherwise. All fancy bells and whistles use CPU cycles (a negligible amount, but some is more than none). To be honest, I run the client with -hide on nearly all the computers I have running it, so I wouldn't see any fancy bits anyway.

You could always write a third-party monitoring application to work with the dnet client if you don't think it is complete. The client has the ability to output everything to a log file.

omer
02-13-2005, 06:40 PM
good to have all the comments :)

black_civic55
02-19-2005, 02:38 PM
any word on when a new client will be out?? I so badly wanna join in the fun but I need something that i can minimize!!