PDA

View Full Version : bit of help needed

N.V.M.
02-13-2005, 03:41 PM
guys, how many clients per machine is best for optimal ponts? and how do i get more than 1 client running? can i do it from the existing download or do i have to get another one?

N.V.M.
02-13-2005, 03:43 PM
oops, and whats the update/points schedule?

IronBits
02-13-2005, 04:11 PM
The newest windows GUI client only allows one instance

willy1
02-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by IronBits
The newest windows GUI client only allows one instance

URK! How does that work for dual HT boxes?

I hope I have the old client saved somewhere... <thought> will that still work (from the WR attempt vintage)?

N.V.M.
02-13-2005, 04:35 PM
hmmm, only one for windows. same for linux version?(got a bunch of those too)

Jkusuda
02-13-2005, 04:50 PM
If you want to run more then 1 instance of CB, just go into the directory it is installed into and click on the cbpncli icon for more instances. I'm sure there is probably some more clever way to accomplish the same thing but it will open more instances by doing it this way.

In general, I've always been told that the number of instances of CB to run is related to the RAM in the computer. Typically, in machines with 256mb or more, I run 3 instances per processor. I've heard that people run up to 16 instances and see performance gains but I've never experimented with it. In my dual Xeon boxen, I've run up to 12 instances. I typically only run 2 instances for performance reasons.

Hope this helps and would love to see if there are things I've missed or tricks to get CB to operate more efficiently.

:cheers:

N.V.M.
02-13-2005, 05:03 PM
thanks, i'll try 2 on each comp and check my daily scores over the next couple days. i think the best ive done so far is just under 2 billion.

em99010pepe
02-13-2005, 05:05 PM
N.V.M.,

Try this:

Multiple instances

First delete or move your chessbrain agent from start menu. Then go to your chessbrain folder installation and create a shortcut to cbpncli.exe. Add in the command line or target line the following command:

"C:\Program Files\ChessBrain DeskTop\cbpncli.exe" 0,

0 means that will run invisible but visible in task menu.

One shortcut means one instance.

Hope this helps,

Carlos

PS(If you have 1024MB you can run up to 20 or more instances.)