PDA

View Full Version : Priority settings questions

jasong
02-15-2005, 06:46 PM
I've been looking over the sharing settings, and personally, I feel like a woman who got roses on Valentine's Day because the guy wanted to screw her. It's MY computer!!! If I want to tell a bunch of other projects I don't want them to run unless my favorite project(s) have absolutely no work, that's my business.

Unless there's something about the settings I don't know(possible), I want a program that uses up very little resources, but only allows other projects to get in when my project(Einstein@Home) has absolutely no work.

Now I'm going to say something which may sound stupid(and if it's possible, it almost totally negates this message): Is it possible to give a project a HUGE priority AND whenever a project runs, it runs the unit until it's through? My problem is more about neurotically meeting deadlines in projects I didn't want to give time in the first place(since Einstein probably had work), but don't worry, I take my meds.:rolleyes:

jasong
02-16-2005, 03:07 PM
Okay, maybe I don't understand the settings. Question: Do the priorities affect the amount of time a work-unit gets once it's on your computer or does it affect how much work it downloads?

Put another way: If one project has one share and another has 500, how are the computer resources distributed once the work-unit is on your computer?

I am SOOOOOO neurotic!!!

:rolleyes:

willy1
02-16-2005, 04:27 PM
FWIW - BOINC Client Scheduling Policies (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/client_sched.php)

This is one of the goofy, crazy, annoying parts of BOINC. If you remain 'attached' or whatever they call it to a particular project, you have to play games with priorities to get it BOINC to do what you want.

The way I understood it, it does time-slicing between projects based on your priority settings.

jasong
02-16-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by willy1
FWIW - BOINC Client Scheduling Policies (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/client_sched.php)

This is one of the goofy, crazy, annoying parts of BOINC. If you remain 'attached' or whatever they call it to a particular project, you have to play games with priorities to get it BOINC to do what you want.

The way I understood it, it does time-slicing between projects based on your priority settings.

If anybody can write a program(assuming it's possible) that will show favoritism to one or more projects and only allow other projects to run if there's nothing available for the favorites, I BEG you to try.