PDA

View Full Version : Batten down the hatches, beef up your servers...

Jodie
05-21-2002, 12:35 PM
In case you don't follow "that other project" -

You might prep yourself for a significant number of new contributors. "That other project" has made some announcements of late, and my lurking around the team boards suggests that some people aren't overly happy with them... DCers are notoriously fickle (myself included)

Being the competative type that I am, I know I'm redoubling my effort...

And on that topic - I might ask assistance of the DF 'crew to help me figure out where some units are going. I'm going to go back through all the machines today (ouch) but somehow, I went from ~70ish Ghz and 3.4M/day to 81Ghz and 2.9M/day. I'd imagine you'd want to know where half a million units/day plus are going too... I'm planniing on taking my farm to atleast 120Ghz, but not until I figure this little glitch out... Hopefully it's something simple..:bang:

Brian the Fist
05-22-2002, 10:26 AM
Well Jodie, there's lots of reasons that your stats may not appear correct. Are you getting them from our site first of all? Although others like statsman, etc. are doing a great job with tracking stats and such, please do not rely on their accuracy. I could easily unwittingly make changes that would 'break' their parsing, for example, and that could produce misleading results. I must ignore all reports of incorrect stats unless they have been observed on the 'official' site.

Also, on the official site, it may sound dumb but you need to shift-click on Refresh on your browser sometimes to force a reload of the GIF with your stats in it or it keeps old ones. Please verify these two things first. Then compare how many structures you make over a period of several days. Remmeber the program only uploads every 3-4 hrs probably on each machine so depending on how they are staggered it could look like you are producing more one day than another, because they may uplaod, say 5 times one day, and 7 times on another day.

Scott Jensen
05-22-2002, 01:11 PM
Jodie,

Spill the beans. What's the latest goof-up that FAH has done now?

Jodie
05-23-2002, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the feedback. As it turns out it was a simple problem on my end that I hadn't looked into yet.

I'm almost at the point of hiring a fulltime admin for my farm. :bang: :crazy:

I think I have it about worked out. Back up over 3M/day.

I understand that you can't do support for Statsman/et al. I appreciate that - I'm impressed by how well this project is supported as it is! Kudos!

---

Scott - it's really the G@H project - although they are now one and the same :rolleyes:

Details on the G@H and prehaps F@H boards... I'll not get into it other than that I still have one or two machines stashed someplace that I'm trying diligently to find and remove from that 'project'...

It'd be interesting to plot the exodus and see how it coincides with growth curve here. :crazy:

Shaktai
05-23-2002, 05:44 AM
The short version is that their new client combines both Genome and Folding. A good idea, but their implementation orphans the Genome folks from a statistical sense, if they want the latest & greatest client. Suffice to say, a bunch of folks are upset. If they don't find a better and more equitable stats implementation for the new client than what they proposed, they may lose a whole slew of people, especially genome, despite what is otherwise a good new and faster client.

Good Science! :thumbs: Bad communication and planning. :spank: :swear:

zakelwe
05-23-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Jodie
In case you don't follow "that other project" -

You might prep yourself for a significant number of new contributors. "That other project" has made some announcements of late, and my lurking around the team boards suggests that some people aren't overly happy with them... DCers are notoriously fickle (myself included)

Have you been spying on me ?

Regards

Andy:)

Jodie
05-23-2002, 01:53 PM
*YOU* most specifically, Andy.

Who told you? Damn... Now that you know, you must be terminated. :scared:

Sorry. Nothing to be done for it. You just couldn't leave well enough alone, could you?:rolleyes: :p

pointwood
05-23-2002, 02:10 PM
Hi Andy!

Nice of you to drop by here ;)

Will [H] start to crunch DF more seriously now? :)
(probably too soon to say...)

RipItUp
05-23-2002, 05:08 PM
Hi Jodie and Pointwood,

I think they will Pointwood, though I imagine most will go to Fah3. I don't think people want to fade away doing g@h like f@h1. Is that still running ?

I'm doing DF for the moment until I can make my mind up. Luckily I have just got a GF4 4400 and so the protein asci graphics are running at over 60fps ..smooth as silk :|party|:

Regards

Andy