PDA

View Full Version : recommendations for secondary project

jasong
02-21-2005, 09:59 PM
Hi: First of all, I apologize if this is considered spamming.

I've noticed that because of the nature of the EON client, approximately half the time the cpu isn't being used because the computer is waiting for a work-unit. Therefore, I'd like to recommend a couple of things it could do in the meantime.

The first one is very general. There are a lot of sieving projects out there. Sieving is basicly looking for factors of potential prime numbers in order to save time for the project. If you run an AMD made in this century, you would be helpful in one of these projects.

Another good project with low cache usage for AMDs is Find-a-Drug, anything faster than about 1GHz would be welcome, less for people who don't run EON.

Those are my two recommendations for people who run EON on AMD computers. I'm assuming the recommendation for Intels running EON is timeless Folding@Home work units, but that's a SWAG on my part, and other people may have different views based on ACTUAL experience:o

Simply install the secondary project and make sure EON is at a higher priority so that it gets everything it wants.

I'm going to stop and restart the two programs I'm running to get a general idea of the split between resources. I'll probably post in the morning or sometime in the afternoon tomorrow for those who are interested.

C-ya

Longbow
02-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by jasong
I've noticed that because of the nature of the EON client, approximately half the time the cpu isn't being used because the computer is waiting for a work-unit. Therefore, I'd like to recommend a couple of things it could do in the meantime.

Ok, so it isn't just me seeing this? I thought I was having ISP problems. Actually jasong, this is not the normal behavior of eOn. Until today sending and recieving results only took a couple of seconds. I started up F@H to keep the CPU working, but if things return to the way they have normally been I intend to turn F@H back off.

Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one suffering this recently anomoly.

black_civic55
02-21-2005, 10:47 PM
ok phew haha its not just me either!!!

graeme
02-22-2005, 12:37 AM
Thanks for pointing this out. We're hitting some bottleneck in the server, probably due to the tremendous response to the project lately. The stats system was being overloaded, which was part of the problem, but we're also losing some work units due to something else, internal to the server. We'll get right onto this. The server is not at its network limit, so it's really a matter of optimizing the system. Thanks for the challenge here -- we appreciate it, and will get it working better as quickly as possible.

graeme
02-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Oh, I see that Omer's reply is more optimistic than mine. That's great since he'll be in charge of getting things working better.

omer
02-22-2005, 12:40 AM
haha, i deleted my reply after reading yours :), for the rest, it was:

"there was a small issue, it should be better now.."

jasong
02-22-2005, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Longbow
Ok, so it isn't just me seeing this? I thought I was having ISP problems. Actually jasong, this is not the normal behavior of eOn. Until today sending and recieving results only took a couple of seconds. I started up F@H to keep the CPU working, but if things return to the way they have normally been I intend to turn F@H back off.

Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one suffering this recently anomoly.
You're welcome. I just assumed it was normal behavior.

Mustard
02-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Well I am still having the same issues, spending a *lot* of time waiting for a connection. So I don't think that the post "there was a small issue, it should be better now.." took care of the problem :( :(

graeme
02-22-2005, 01:03 PM
I've reset the server. I expect things will be better now. This is not to say the problem is fixed, it just gives us a little more time to fix things.

jasong
02-22-2005, 01:11 PM
For those of you who are interested, my other project has claimed about 3 hours and 10 minutes of idle time, and deductive reasoning(from looking at the other project's local stats) tells me the problem is still alive for EON.

graeme
02-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Things do look better on the server end today.

KWSN_Dagger
02-28-2005, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by graeme
Things do look better on the server end today.

This one has been popping up lately, I don't know if this is normal or not.

[FIDA] Reporting Results
[FIDA] Connecting to Server
SendIdaMessage: v3NetSend failed. EC=-7, bytes_sent=0

:confused:

I'm running the Windows client.

didn't see the official board lower down

omer
02-28-2005, 06:23 PM
we are working on that, for now a temporary solution of resending the computed result is in effect... download the latest client from our site!