PDA

View Full Version : Will Redhat 7.3 run DF ?

Terminator
05-21-2002, 06:06 PM
Simple question but for a complete linux novice like myself (about 2 hours use :D so be gentle) the thread on the Hosted DF forum is a bit confusing with all the different Redhat clients available.

I've got the machine to dual boot with Win2000, but I would like to crunch DF while I'm playing (learning) my way around Redhat.

TIA :)

Paratima
05-21-2002, 06:18 PM
Use the first one listed for Linux. It says:

Linux 2.x and higher (Redhat 6.2) (gcc)

There's evidently a problem with the Intel-compiler generated code with RH7.3. That's according to Howard and he should know! This one should work fine. ;)

Terminator
05-21-2002, 06:20 PM
:cool: Thanks I'll give a try now :D

Terminator
05-21-2002, 06:47 PM
Downloaded and extracted OK - but won't run, get this error :-

[root@REDHAT distribfold]# ./foldit
./foldtrajlite: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Something simple I suspect but :help: :D

Scoofy12
05-21-2002, 07:22 PM
sounds like you are probably missing a library, specifically the ncurses library or some variant thereof. grep through your RPMs and look for ncurses, and if its not installed, install it.

Actually, now that i think of it, isnt ncurses up to version 5 now? maybe that's the problem?
anyway, try the first solution....

pointwood
05-21-2002, 07:29 PM
IIRC, I tried installing ver. 5 of ncurses and that certainly didn't work on my Gentoo box, so that could very well be the problem.

/me is a Linux newbie however, so take this info with a *large* grain of salt :)

And don't ask me how to fix it :p

Paratima
05-21-2002, 08:00 PM
:bang: That version was supposed to work! Sorry, Amigo.

I guess the RH7.3 library problem was more extensive than Howard figured. Hard to believe that ncurses wouldn't be part of the standard load.

Terminator, if reloading libraries doesn't work, you need to repost this problem over in Bug Tracking on the DF side. This could make up Howard's mind for him about his compile options.

Terminator
05-22-2002, 03:38 AM
Thanks for the suggestions ! - I'll try 'em when I get in from work tonight :)

Terminator
05-22-2002, 03:20 PM
Well a little further (I think) - ncurses wasn't installed - so I've installed ncurses 5.2-26 from the CD and it states that it provides libncurses.so.5 so I assume that DF client has been compiled :confused: with support for 4 and that version 5 isn't backward compatiable :(

My brain hurts :D

Terminator
05-22-2002, 03:51 PM
Well I thought I'd download the icc version just to see and guess what - it works OK !

Looks like the linux thing is going to have alot of :bang: before I get the hang of it :)

Paratima
05-22-2002, 07:11 PM
Oh well. I'm confused. :confused: If it works, run with it. Let's have a beer! :cheers:

Dyyryath
05-23-2002, 11:18 AM
Hey Terminator,

The libraries are backwards compatible, but you are probably lacking a symlink to the old version name from the new version name. It's kind of like making an alias where the old version name just points to the new version.

You can find some more info about this here (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php3?s=&postid=7336#post7336).

Sorry I didn't catch this thread sooner!