PDA

View Full Version : Problem with stats

rshepard
02-27-2005, 08:06 AM
Daily stats aren't updating today??

Bok
02-27-2005, 08:36 AM
I've run them manually for now until I can see why they didn't run.

Bok

rshepard
02-27-2005, 08:43 AM
I noticed that the old server has come back to life-- is there any communication between the two that might cause the glitch , or is this just coincidence? Thanks for looking into it:thumbs:

Bok
02-27-2005, 08:51 AM
I'm not sure, some of this needs miguel to take a look, but I think I just moved the stats scripts into cron.daily yesterday (or was it the day before?). They should have run but perhaps it's permissions. Once I've had a few cups of coffee I'll be in a better position to look :)

Bok :D

IronBits
02-27-2005, 08:58 AM
In his last post, he said read this http://www.informatics.sussex.ac.uk/users/mmg20/dhe/news.php

Basically - and I modified it for clarity below
Feb 22 2005: Beta test of the new DHEP server has begun and will finish on Monday 28th.
To migrate to the new server you must change the following in your scripts: every time it says 139.184.166.27 should be changed to 66.51.209.121 for dhep.dbestern.com.

This includes the java.policy file and the launching scripts. Statistics will not be logged for this week to incur no disadvantage to those joining in the beta test.

Beta test result will be announced on Monday 28th.
If successful all users should migrate and stats collection will be resumed on Tuesday from the new server.
If unsuccessful stats collection will be resumed on Tuesday from the old server..

Progress of the new server can be checked here. http://dhep.dbestern.com

rshepard
02-27-2005, 11:22 AM
It may not be the stats scripts at all--- I restarted a client and it came back with
"Connection refused to host:66.51.209.121"

Looks like the server doesn't want to talk anymore :cry:

michaelgarvie
02-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Hi Ironbits,

Would you prefer 66.51.209.121 or stats.dbestern.com?

I guess the first takes away a single point of failure in the DNS but the latter gives a bit more flexibility if you shift your boxes around.

:cheers: Miguel

Bok
02-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Miguel,

I presume you are updating the .msi package now :) I would think it would always be best to use the DNS.

Bok

IronBits
02-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by miguelgarvie
Hi Ironbits,

Would you prefer 66.51.209.121 or stats.dbestern.com?

I guess the first takes away a single point of failure in the DNS but the latter gives a bit more flexibility if you shift your boxes around.

:cheers: Miguel Actually,
dhep.dbestern.com would be the one to use.
I thought your project/software required an IP addy :crazy:

ace_dent
03-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Just for info:
The migrate pack is not downloadable from the new server (ie. 404 on http://dhep.dbestern.com/files/migrateUnpack.exe).
Also, the package still uses stats.dbestern.com (not dhep.dbestern.com).

Good to see the project coming back to life. Though, a quick question for Miguel- is it your plan to carry on working through the Benchmarking circuits? My personal concern is whether you will still have time to nuture the project. (It seems the evolution process needs a fair amount of 'directing' to avoid plateau's etc.). Maybe an increased presence on the forum / website news, would reassure Users in this regard... after all, you are inviting them to commit their (expenisve) computer resources. It would also be great to see some sort of road-map / action plan for the next 6months. ;)

Andrew

-- Edit: Ooppss... sorry, should have posted this to the Future of the Project thread --

michaelgarvie
03-01-2005, 01:41 PM
THanks for the heads up, both have been fixed.

Future of the project: I will be involved in the science side, ie. setting up new experiments and collecting the results. Ironbits and Bok will be involved in the running the rest of the project. Is that more or less right guys

IronBits
03-01-2005, 06:53 PM
I'll keep the server running on the UPS, and keep the DSL going...
Bok is the Admin tho :jester: