PDA

View Full Version : Distributed Folding GUI (v0.1 Beta)

Digital Parasite
05-23-2002, 02:53 PM
I have the initial beta release of the Distributed Folding GUI ready for people who want to try it out. This initial release is more of a monitoring/benchmarking program and I will be adding start/stop code in the future. When the program is more complete I will also be releasing the source code for it (C++).

To get this working you need Windows, unzip the files into your distributed folding directory and run the dfGUI.exe file. In order for you to get results your client needs to be running.

Any bug reports/feedback would be appreciated, my e-mail address is in the distribution. I have tested it on Win2000 but the others should work as well.

I am also looking for suggestions for naming the program, "Distributed Folding GUI" is just a temp name (not sure how Howard et al. feels about that) so if people want to post suggestions for a cool name let me know and I will pick the one I like best.

Jeff.

Digital Parasite
05-23-2002, 02:57 PM
For those of you that want to see a screen shot of the application in action, I have attached it to this post.

Dyyryath
05-23-2002, 03:57 PM
Very nice, Jeff, very nice indeed!

Terminator
05-23-2002, 04:49 PM
Great monitoring program, works brilliantly - Thanks very much :thumbs:

iainmcgin
05-23-2002, 05:46 PM
How about "Origami"? You know, paper folding. Sort of a bad pun, but it's all I can think of :)

Iain
University of Glasgow

MAD-ness
05-23-2002, 05:53 PM
Very, very cool.

I have it up and running on WinXP at the moment.

Thanks Jeff. :)

MAD-ness
05-23-2002, 08:01 PM
The more I think about it, the more the name "Origami" makes me laugh. I like it. :) Has to do with folding, but is short and sweet and rather odd.

Digital Parasite
05-23-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by MAD-ness
The more I think about it, the more the name "Origami" makes me laugh. I like it. :) Has to do with folding, but is short and sweet and rather odd.

Thanks guys. How about "Protigami" or "Distribigama" or some variation? :rotfl:

Jeff.

Richard Clyne
05-23-2002, 08:06 PM
Great prog:thumbs:

Whats the chances of a network version in the future?

Digital Parasite
05-23-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Richard Clyne
Whats the chances of a network version in the future?

By network version do you mean a version that can read network paths like \\machine_name\directory ?

Jeff.

Scoofy12
05-23-2002, 09:53 PM
How bout Foldtrack or some variation thereof (foldtraklite? hehe) good description of what it does and pun on foldtraj :D very nice gui though... start and stop will be nice too... maybe you could even integrate some way of running it quiet and hiding the output... i think this has been discussed elsewhere even.

MAD-ness
05-23-2002, 10:09 PM
I think that is what he means. I can dig up a copy of Den's Foldmonitor program he had it working with DF a while back, but he doesn't support it now. Not sure if the source was ever released and, if so, where to find it. Den had to leave for real life reasons, not sure if he will be back.

Corrupter has a sort of monitoring GUI available. KDFold maybe?

Some suggestions on future features:

- a benchmark 'mode.' Not sure what to call this. To be able to get longer term benchmark results written into a text file for ouput. Something along the lines of what Dyyryath's Linux script does, a small formatted output of text included the needed information, to make it easier to run, collect and share benchmark info. Perhaps an option that monitors it for an hour, or even a user definable period of time and then outputs the results to a file.

- I don't know how Dyyryath pulled the system info in his Linux script but I assume the same can be done in Windows (different process, same result). I know that a little IRC script called moo.dll does this. If you aren't familiar with how to get this info from the system, I could probably find someone who can tell you or give you sample code.

As far as an actual GUI/front-end there are quite a few ideas, some practical, some probably not, but those can wait.

Right now I would love to be able to get output similar to that from Dyyryath's Linux script.

Thanks.

MAD-ness
05-23-2002, 10:16 PM
Scoofy: any of that remote client monitoring stuff you and Jodie were turning our brains into mush talking about be applicable/useful in implementing remote (perhaps not REALLY remote, but on the network) client viewing in something like this. Of course, your stuff was mainly concerned with getting outside of the network and the relevant security issues.

Oh well, all over my head.

The ECCp109 Statsaholic client has GREAT hidden client options.

There are command line utilities for running hidden, though I am not sure which are open source (though the Statsaholic has available source, so using it as inspiration [or simply ganking it if the license allows such activity] should be possible.).

Scoofy12
05-23-2002, 10:50 PM
The stuff we were talking about (rpc, SSH and the like) applied mostly to *nix systems. Although it's all available for Windows, it's not commonly used. All that is easily scriptable in unix shell if you have a nice controlled cluster environment with hostnames that have some sort of logical order, ie numbered sequentially or something. (the cluster i was using was br20601 through br20625 for example), To make it much more general for your average Windows distro would change the game completely. Probably you'd end up using SMB shares like Digital Parasite was talking about (ie the \\hostname\sharename stuff). Maybe the software could have a field where you could enter the hostname(s) and sharename(s) of your networked crunchers (which youd have to share up ahead of time of course), and then the client could aggregate the stats. That would be neato :) All the usual SMB security caveats apply of course, but then again, so do all the usual Windows security caveats :D

1fast6
05-23-2002, 11:34 PM
very nice, DP... its a keeper... :)

features list:
start/stop would be great... as well as the ability to hide the client(s), minimize to the tray (nice feature you've added already-thanks), and read status from the tray icon (green=good, red=bad, like setispy)...

namewise, hows about:
Folderama...
DF Dashboard...
Folder Controller...

Dyyryath
05-24-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by MAD-ness
I don't know how Dyyryath pulled the system info in his Linux script but I assume the same can be done in Windows (different process, same result). I know that a little IRC script called moo.dll does this. If you aren't familiar with how to get this info from the system, I could probably find someone who can tell you or give you sample code.

<snip>

Right now I would love to be able to get output similar to that from Dyyryath's Linux script.

My Linux script parses some files in the /proc directory which contains the necessary information. It's a little more difficult under Windows, but certainly not impossible.

I've also written a C# version for Windows that returns the same information as the Linux script. Under Windows, I'm pulling the data from the Registry. It's more complicated (especially since not all of the various Windows versions store exactly the same info in the same keys) but it can be done with a little experimentation.

There's no reason that Jeff can't do the same thing from C++.

I was considering writing a GUI based version as well, though I would have written it in C# and it would have only expanded on benchmarking, not monitoring as Jeff's has done.

Since he's made such a nice little app, I haven't had to bother, which gives me more time to work on expanding and enhancing Free-DC's DF stats. ;)

Richard Clyne
05-24-2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Digital Parasite

By network version do you mean a version that can read network paths like \\machine_name\directory ?

Jeff.

Yes

Digital Parasite
05-24-2002, 06:52 PM
I had a bit of time to work on the GUI client so I am now releasing v0.2 which adds support for starting/stopping the df client using either foldit.bat or custom settings and the tray icon will now show two colours: green if the client is running, red if it is not.

I have written down everyone else's requests and I will try to get to them when time permits.

I am having one problem though and that is with launching the DF client itself. Right now when you start it from the GUI it opens a command shell so it isn't completely hidden. Are there any C++ programmers out there that know how to execute a program in the background without a console?

To execute the client I am using:
spawnv(P_DETACH, ".\\foldtrajlite.exe", argv);

According to the docs, using P_DETACH should:
"Identical to P_NOWAITO, except that the child process is executed in the background with no access to the keyboard or the display."

Which sounds like what I want but in reality it runs in a command window and allows keyboard input and displays information.

Jeff.

Digital Parasite
05-24-2002, 06:52 PM
Here is a screen shot for the new version:

MAD-ness
05-24-2002, 07:11 PM
whoohoo.

I was hoping you would toss in upload only options, etc.

You just call the client with different arguments, right?

Good work again. Wish I knew how to call the client and keep it hidden/invisible. I will see if I can find source somewhere from a client for another project that does this. I saw a GPL'ed seti service client the other day that ran it hidden, not sure if hiding it was part of setting it as a service though. Maybe someone will dig something up though. :)

Richard Clyne
05-24-2002, 07:13 PM
New version - So quick, so cool.

Cheers Digital Parasite:thumbs: :notworthy

firejuggler
05-24-2002, 09:55 PM
first, escuse my poor english

So, Digital Parasite, why do not add a counter wich display the total time passed with the gui loaded...
and for the refresh timer, you should make it change by the user...
not by step by step...
if you can't understand, i should say it in french...
but i think that you shouldn't understand....

again, escuse my awfull english...
:cry:
i haven't study as much as i should....

Digital Parasite
05-25-2002, 08:25 AM
Salut firejuggler,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. You want a timer that shows how long the GUI has been loaded instead of how long the client has been running? If yes, can I ask why? I'm not sure what use this would be?

Je comprends le francais alors vous pouvez m'envoyer un PM ou un e-mail en francais si tu veux.

Jeff.

Digital Parasite
05-25-2002, 10:09 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have put together a little web site for the dfGUI program I am making. You will be able to get the latest version and info from there: http://gilchrist.ca/jeff/dfGUI/

Elena: Would it be possible to get a link to my dfGUI web site on the DistributedFolding.org coolstuff page? That is of course if you think that it is cool enough... :cool:

Jeff.

joerg57
05-25-2002, 03:20 PM
Hi Jeff,

very nice prog:thumbs:

greetings from germany Joerg

Burgergold
05-26-2002, 11:40 AM
it could be fine if the gui could hide completly the df dos windows and not just to make it quiet :)

Digital Parasite
05-26-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Burgergold
it could be fine if the gui could hide completly the df dos windows and not just to make it quiet :)

If you look at the previous page of comments you will see that I am trying to do that. Know anyone with C++ skills that might be able to help?

Burgergold
05-26-2002, 01:12 PM
there is already a little soft to hide stuff named hide.exe but I don't have the source code

Digital Parasite
05-26-2002, 09:40 PM
Where can you get hide.exe? I might be able to call that from my program to hide the DF client if I have to resort to that.

Thanks,
Jeff.

MAD-ness
05-26-2002, 10:01 PM
http://www.scripthorizon.com/

runh.exe a script can be found there on the front page.

I have looked into apps like this. This guy has some OS stuff, but I couldn't tell if Runh.exe is.

You could just call it, I have gotten it to work with DF.

Also, you can use uh...HideItx by the weatherman (Lperry), though you would have to ask him. Maybe he will pop by and offer some help, I know he doesn't have much interest in working on a program for DF, but he DOES modify hideitx upon our request to help it work.

Burgergold
05-26-2002, 11:08 PM
if you can understand french
http://alliancefrancophone.fr.st/

Menu Installation left of the page

Then section "Comment cacher la fenetre de la version console de Folding@Home (Windows) "

link "Les étapes pour cacher la fenetre de la version console de Folding@Home"

its working with everything

jkeating
05-26-2002, 11:52 PM
Where can you get hide.exe?

You might also try HideDF (http://www.katrinashome.com/howtohideit.html)

The source is VB 6.0 and is only about 20 lines of code.

MAD-ness
05-27-2002, 02:36 AM
Oh, hey, cool, didn't realize you had released source for HideDF.

Cool. :)

Erm...while we are on the subject, the little bit of tinkering on a win9x system with hidedf that I did...it did what it was supposed to, but I got an error message trying to reboot the computer (foldtrajlite is still running - shut down?). I did not have time to trouble shoot this or experiment, but is this something you have seen before?

Digital Parasite
05-27-2002, 08:42 AM
MAD-ness : Thanks I will check out the scripthorizon place.

Burgergold & jkeating : Thanks for the links to the programs, I will check them out.

I would like to be able to integrate the launching of hidden programs right into dfGUI but if I can't figure it out soon I will add supports for one/more of these hiding utilities. I will call it um, say, a plugin for dfGUI :p

Thanks for all your help guys.
Jeff.

Stardragon
05-27-2002, 10:08 AM
Jeff,

I'm pretty sure that we can put up a link to the dfGUI website. After all, you've done a really great job with it, and our team really appreciates the effort on your behalf. I will just have to double-check with the big boss... :p

We'll keep you posted as to when and where the link will go.

Thanks for all the hard work :|party|:

Stardragon
05-27-2002, 10:44 AM
Well, the big boss is way ahead of me, as always :D

The link to the dfGUI has already been posted under the About > Stuff section of our website.

Isn't Howard just great at getting things up and running in no time? :thumbs:

MAD-ness
05-27-2002, 11:13 AM
YES.

=)

jkeating
05-27-2002, 11:37 AM
but I got an error message trying to reboot the computer (foldtrajlite is still running - shut down?).

That's a different problem :D

However, to fix it on Win98:

1) Open Windows Explorer and go to > Windows > System and look for a file called Conagent.exe. You need to reset the properties for this. There are different ways to do this, and somebody else may have their own favorite way, but this way works just as good as any other...

2) Copy the file and paste it into your distribfold folder.

3) Now right click on the file and look for Properties on the pop-up menu.

4) Click Properties then click on the Misc. tab.

5) On the tab look for a checkbox called Warn if still active . Uncheck the box then click Apply .

Thats it. Different boxen behave differently to this procedure. I have heard that some boxen will still have the popup message box when you try to shut down, but this works on the vast majority of machines. I've used it on over 50 boxen without problem.

You may have to reboot for the procedure to take effect. Generally it will take effect immeditially, but I had to reboot and reset on a couple of machines.

Good Luck.

Brian the Fist
05-27-2002, 03:35 PM
I just noticed dfGUI has an option to NOT use foldit.bat. I don't know exactly what this does, but to the author, and all users, please note, there is some important stuff for auto-updates in the foldit.bat file on Windows. If you start up by just running foldtrajlite.exe with some arguments, AUTO_UPDATE WILL NOT WORK. You have been warned. :scared:

Digital Parasite
05-27-2002, 03:50 PM
Hi Howard,

The fact that autoupdate does not run if you use custom start mode is noted in the docs. I will make it more obvious though. The reason this feature is there because it is a :swear: to go and edit your foldit.bat file every time you want to do something different like upload only or use increased buffer files, no-net, etc...

I have a question for you. Looking at the foldit.bat file it seems that when an update is available the foldtrajlite client creates a doupdate.txt file correct? What I can do is check for this file and offer to run foldit.bat for the user so they will update their client if they are using custom start mode. How does that sound?

Jeff.

MAD-ness
05-27-2002, 05:58 PM
Jeff: I just tested the client using more than one bat file to launch the program and didn't notice any problems.

What I mean is that I copied the foldit.bat file and then renamed the copies, one for each configuration I would/might need. i.e. "nonet.bat" "upload.bat," etc.

I can't think of any reason this would "break" anything, you/we could make these extra batch files once and then the program could just call 'nonet.bat' to run the client in no-net mode, or (more useful probably) you could call "upload.bat" and it would kill the currently running instance of foldtrajlite.exe (by deleting the foldtrajlite.lock file) and would launch foldtrajlite.exe again with the switches contained in the customized foldit.bat file.

I am not a computer expert, but I don't see why this wouldn't work, I just tested it on this win98se box real quick and it doesn't seem to cause problems, I know I have renamed the foldit.bat before and other files too, the client seems to be very good about not having sloppy junk and shortcuts programmed in that make any modifications or alterations tricky. It is pretty clean.

Anything I didn't think of that would make this not work?

MAD-ness
05-27-2002, 06:01 PM
Jkeating: did as you suggested (I had done this previously for other DC clients) and I just couldn't remember the specifics of doing this. However, the terminate option was properly set already, and I still can't seem to get it to close down, even after a reboot. Gonna go digging for guides on win9x installs for SETI and Sengent (I know both need to do this trick on some machines) and see if I can dig up something else.

Digital Parasite
05-27-2002, 10:00 PM
Hey everyone, you can head over to the dfGUI web site and download the latest version:
http://gilchrist.ca/jeff/dfGUI/

It adds supports for saving your settings into an .ini file, some better timing information and JWhy was nice enough to let me bundle hide.exe in with the distribution so you can hide the DF client to a certain extent (using custom start).

Howard and I are talking via e-mail to work out the auto-update thing to make sure dfGUI plays nicely with the current and any upcoming changes to the DF client.

Jeff.

Burgergold
05-28-2002, 09:03 AM
maybe you should add a checkbox "Start DF on startup of dfgui"
That's way, we could add dfgui in our startup and df will start automatically

Digital Parasite
05-28-2002, 09:46 AM
Good idea Burgergold, I will add that to the wishlist. It would do a quick check first to make sure it isn't already running.

I will also try to add an "Upload" button for those people who work offline and want an easy way to upload the results. It will probably stop the client if it is running, then launch it again with upload only parameters, then start it again after if it was running in the first place.

As soon as I hear back from Howard about foldit.bat I will modify the startup so that should use the auto-update properly.

Jeff.